The Toronto Children's Ministry Conference is a gathering of people who are dedicated to the spiritual growth of children, parents, church volunteers and ministry leaders. Join us on Saturday, November 2nd, for engaging and practical workshops that will equip and inspire you!
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
The Wellness Advocate is committed to helping people who are homeless transition toward and maintain sustainable and healthy lifestyles. The purpose of the Health and Wellness area is to facilitate the case management of guests at the Seed. The Wellness Advocate connects guests with any needed external and internal resources.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with new guests who come into the wellness centre and do the Mustard Seed General Intake getting new guests referred as quickly as possible to other internal programs;
- Educate and empower guests to understand and achieve their rights and responsibilities, as participating members of society;
- Liaise with internal and external resources that will help guests increase their assets. This includes maintaining existing partnerships as well as developing new partnerships;
- In regards to guests who have a Caseworker, compliment the work the Caseworkers by acting as a consultant and liaison for issues that require guest access to external resources;
- In regards to guests who do not have a Caseworker, refer these guests directly to internal and external resources;
- Advocate for guest as needed both to access resources within and outside the organization;
- Ensure guests accessed external resources by completing follow up with guests and agencies; • Provide crisis intervention, as necessary;
- Provide input into program evaluation upon request;
- Other duties as assigned. Administration
- Build a comprehensive library and knowledge base on community resources;
- Share and disseminate community resource information;
- Track assigned guests’ progress with external resources;
- Communicate relevant information to Caseworker about interactions with guests and observed behavior;
- Document guest interactions, guest referrals and guest progress on HMIS;
- Track statistics and prepare reports, as required;
- Attend meetings and training, as assigned;
- Serve on internal and external committees, as requested;
- Provide input into the development of policies and procedures for designated programs;
- Keep guests’ records and information confidential, updated and secure.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- BSW or Bachelor in Psychology or equivalent;
- Three to five years of related working experience;
- Competent in use of MS Office;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent administrative, time management and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently;
- Time in excess of regular working hours may be required on occasion.
- This position is primarily an office position.
- Local travel to various Mustard Seed sites and external agencies will be required
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7231 ]