Christmas in the Chapel presents the Tyndale Community Choir with special guest Mark Masri. Start the Christmas season with traditional favourites and a blend of genres to stir your heart. December 7th for 2 shows. Get your tickets before they are sold out.
Night Support Worker
Night Support Worker
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Night Support Staff PTOC work closely with Mustard Seed guests by encouraging them in their journey and connecting them with programs and services so that they can have a positive coordinated exit from the shelter. Night Support Staff PTOC are on the front line and respond to guest needs on an ongoing basis, while maintaining the shelter daily operations. Night Support Staff PTOC also work alongside our many volunteers and ensures that they are supported, trained, and cared for. Crisis intervention and conflict resolution are daily occurrences for this role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- PTOC Front line staff support guests seeking shelter through meeting basic needs and assisting guests with internal and external resources in a respectful manner.
- Respect proper boundaries with guests.
- Administrative tasks, maintain guest records and write accurate logs.
- Support and work alongside volunteers.
- Be a pro-active and supportive team-mate to fellow staff members
- Support TMS culture, ministry and uphold TMS values
- Maintain daily shelter operations which includes laundry, operating the hygiene room, cleaning the dining room, mat area and washrooms, maintaining and operating the locker room, searches and security walks.
- Maintain a safe environment through supervision, zone and bathroom checks, and enforcing shelter expectations with guests.
- Availability to take on-call shifts as required
- Attend required training
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Diploma/certificate in relevant discipline
- 1-year experience in social work or counselling preferred
- Strong people and communication skills
- Knowledge of mental illness and addictions
- Customer service experience
- Ability to remain composed under pressure
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Experience working with volunteers and in a team environment
- Shifts are 8.5 hours long 2 days per week with scheduled and unscheduled on call and call ins.
- The working environment for this position requires moderate amounts of walking, climbing, standing, sitting, lifting, carrying, and daily interactions with colleagues and guests.
- This position is often fast-paced, and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve.
- This position requires the training in usage of a two-way radio communications; MS Office based computer programming, as well as the HMIS database system, FDARP, FOIP, First aid, NVCI, and SafeTalk.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page. (https://themustardseedhr.wufoo.eu/forms/position-application-form/)
***Please also attend The Mustard Seed’s Hiring Fair on November 6, 2019 from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm at 346 Seymour Street in downtown Kamloops for hiring of Shelter positions. Please bring resume, cover letter and a list of two supervisory references. Candidate applications may be used to fill other open positions.***
The Mustard Seed offers an EFAP and Health Spending Account benefit for hourly staff. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7340 ]