Join us for a day with Shane Claiborne. Come be inspired, challenged and refreshed as Shane invites us to explore the transforming power of downward mobility. Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2020. Presented by Henri Nouwen Society & Tyndale Spiritual Formation Centre.
Toronto, Ontario , M9W 3X9
Neighbourhood Connections Church is a fully functioning church that operates within Rexdale Alliance Church every Tuesday morning every week for 51 weeks. It is fully functioning in that there are sermons, communion, baptisms and essentially everything one would associate with a church. However, this church is unique in that the congregation of 75 to 100 people consists of community people who have many challenges such as financial hardships, mental illness, addictions and abuse all of which presents a unique challenge to the person who will lead this church. While this church has all of the components of any church our congregational needs have birthed a whole group of support ministries that the Lead Pastor will also oversee. There is a weekly Food Bank and bread and Second Harvest distribution program, a monthly hair cutting day and a bi- weekly Clothing Closet.
There will be a period of mentorship where the successful candidate will be able to learn hands on from the current Lead Pastor what the roles and responsibilities are with this position.
Personal Qualities Required
- Able to preach minimum of 30 messages a year
- Able to understand special needs of congregation-provide pastoral care and support
- Good people skills-able to relate to congregation and team, patience and compassion
- Good at conflict resolution-between leaders and between congregants
- Able to find and develop new leaders-team is mostly seniors and volunteers so this is ongoing
- Continually monitor and mentor team-encourage, support band pray for team members
- Able to multi task-needs are very demanding but priorities need to be recognized
- Able to give guidance and administration to support ministries
- Good financial skills-maintaining budget, overseeing offerings, ensuring personal expenditures are paid
Although this position is listed as half time the successful candidate should be willing to invest 30 to 40 hours a week in order to do a quality job. Sermon preparation and research can easily consume 10 to 20 hours for each sermon. There is also an expectation to attend the weekly church staff meeting for at least 1.5 hours every Tuesday. Including the staff meeting the candidate will be expected to be on site Tuesdays from 8:30 to 4 p.m.
The successful candidate must be a strong Christian who is willing to dedicate themselves to this church and this congregation. Because this is a church the successful candidate will be expected to obtain credentialing with the Christian and Missionary Alliance which consists of an interview with the District superintendent and two other senior pastors. Upon successful completion of the interview the candidate is expected to take a week long course from Ambrose University called Alliance History and Thought. If the candidate does not sufficient Biblical and Theological background it is possible for them to take the Alliance pastor’s training course which is a two-year commitment.
This position is not a paid position and will require that the individual raises their own support.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 7446 ]