Christmas in the Chapel presents the Tyndale Community Choir with special guest Mark Masri. Start the Christmas season with traditional favourites and a blend of genres to stir your heart. December 7th for 2 shows. Get your tickets before they are sold out.
Thrift Store Shift Lead
Thrift Store Shift Lead
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Shift Lead is responsible for the day-to-day operations of The Mustard Seed Thrift Store. In addition to providing quality customer service to shoppers, the Shift Lead will provide direction and feedback to staff and volunteers. This individual will be responsible for ensuring that the shelves and displays are properly stocked and that the store is clean and welcoming. As one of the key holders, the Shift Lead will also have tasked with opening and/or closing the store.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Fulfill the mission of The Mustard Seed’s ministry and maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, community participants and visitors
- Participate in all staff training (e.g. First Aid, Safe TALK, NCIV) and attend monthly general meetings and support meetings with supervisor
- Motivate, instruct, and provide feedback to staff or volunteers
- Exemplify strong customer skills and run sales transactions
- Assist in making merchandising, pricing, and store layout decisions
- Manage customer complaints and concerns
- Engage in loss prevention procedures
- Follow policies and procedures and create a safe place for customers and volunteers
- Maybe required to assist with Warehouse duties as requested
- Provide support to Thrift Store Supervisor and other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 1-year experience in a customer service retail store and previous Key Holder role
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
- Excellent customer service, conflict resolution and organizational skills
- Computer and Data Entry Skills required (MS Office Suite)
- Team player, who works collaboratively and has a ‘teachable spirit’
- Empathetic towards, and ability to communicate with, individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges
- Experience working within the culture of the inner city and/or with people experiencing poverty or homelessness is an asset
- Experience working in a volunteer-based organization is considered an asset
- Part-time, hourly position working out of the Thrift Store and Warehouse locations
- Availability to work mornings, afternoon, evenings and weekends as required including
- seasonal hours
- Physical effort: moderate, periods of cleaning, sitting, standing, walking, indoors and outdoors (predominantly work indoors)
- Lift up to 50 pounds to sort, pack and move items
- This position is often fast paced and requires moderate amount of mental effort to analyze information and problem solve
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
The Mustard Seed offers an Employee Family Assistance Plan and Health Spending Account benefit for hourly staff.We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7458 ]