The Senior IT Support Specialist provides exceptional application support and technical assistance to end users by resolving and escalating IT support requests in a timely manner in the areas of hardware, software, and services, including the physical network and printers...
Prospect Researcher and Grant Writer
Prospect Researcher and Grant Writer
Calgary , Alberta
The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia and works to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Prospect Researcher is responsible for providing strategic information and informed assessment and counsel to prioritize and focus efforts of the Fund Development staff across Alberta. By enhancing knowledge of existing and potential donors through use of diverse resources and technologies, the Prospect Researcher will make a significant contribution to improving and growing revenue in support of The Mustard Seed’s goals. Additionally, the Grant Writer is responsible for developing and writing grant proposals for all of our locations across Alberta to foundations, government bodies, corporations, and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate The Mustard Seed’s mission and programs to potential funders. The Grant Writer is responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to foundation, government and corporate sources including: research, compilation, writing and editing grant applications, as well as developing templates to streamline the grant proposal process.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides the Chief Development Officer, Fund Development Managers, and other Major Gifts Staff with high-quality donor research for prospect identification, executive preparation for meetings, event planning and developing fundraising strategies
- Manages a range of organizational and logistical functions to support the day-to-day needs of the Relationship Management Program
- When necessary, oversees special research projects under the guidance of the Chief Development Officer
- Focuses on the qualification and identification of prospects at the major prospect level, with an emphasis on major gift prospects
- Helps to develop policies and procedures for prospect tracking and management that support a comprehensive Relationship Management Program
- Proactively addresses the needs of the Fund Development staff and meets tight deadlines as necessary Grant Management
- Create and manage a collaborative organization wide account of grant submissions, results, and tracking
- Maintain funding opportunity database records, activity tracking and related confidential files
- Maintain grant calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals and reports Grant Research and Reporting
- Working with program leadership, identify, define and develop funding sources to support existing and planned program activities
- Research potential funding sources, such as corporate, family and charitable foundations
- Edit, review, and provide other oversight for reports about project activities to funders.
- Work in coordination with the Executive team to prioritize projects and keep multiple proposals moving in a timely manner
- Work in coordination with The Mustard Seed teams to obtain relevant information for proposals
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer and Fund Development Manager to develop and transform ideas into business cases Grant Writing
- Write letters of intent to potential funders effectively communicating the case for support
- Develop and write grant proposals and templates, persuasively sharing the organization’s mission and programs
- Assemble and submit grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets and presentations
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Related university degree, and 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Understanding of and experience in a comprehensive fundraising program and/or a capital campaign
- Knowledge of contemporary practices in donor prospect research, analysis, and major gift fundraising
- Knowledge and work experience with prospect research software, research databases and internet prospect research tools
- Well-developed organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills, and attention to details
- Demonstration of initiative, motivation, creativity and ability to work independently
- Ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form
- Excellent writing, analytical and research skills are essential
- Solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grants
- Proven proficiency in professional writing including successful proposals to institutional donors, grant writing or other technical writing experience (writing examples may be requested)
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to strict deadlines
- Ability to pay attention to detail and maintain accurate records
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly-organized
- Experience working with MS Office (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), online search tools, Salesforce
- Additional non-profit fundraising experience is an asset
- Willing to submit to a security check
- Full-time permanent position
- Fast-paced position with high volume expectations over a relatively short period of time
- The position may require traveling to Edmonton, Red Deer and other cities as needed. Valid license and reliable vehicle are required.
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to be in agreement and to sign our statement of faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Start date: once a suitable candidate is found
Apply online using our Position Application Form on our Careers page.
The Mustard Seed offers a competitive compensation package including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits for staff and dependents, matching RRSP after one year of service, and wellness days. We embrace the concept of employment equity, which includes fair representation, anti-discrimination and reasonable accommodation.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7473 ]