Join us for a day with Shane Claiborne. Come be inspired, challenged and refreshed as Shane invites us to explore the transforming power of downward mobility. Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2020. Presented by Henri Nouwen Society & Tyndale Spiritual Formation Centre.
Youth Pastor / Community Youth Worker
Youth Pastor / Community Youth Worker
Oakville, Ontario , L6K 1K3
Central Baptist Church and Kerr Street Mission (KSM) are excited to announce a unique opportunity for someone looking for a full-time ministry position. The chosen candidate will divide their time between both organizations spending half their time in the role of “Youth Pastor” for Central Baptist Church and the other half of their time as a Community Youth Worker at KSM providing oversight to the development of a youth ministry/program that will help students grow and develop. The ideal candidate is someone who has a desire to be a missionary to the local community, and a spiritual mentor to the younger generation.
This leader will work to build bridges of friendship, to earn the trust and respect of the youth from within the community regardless of race, religious beliefs or backgrounds. They will be working to serve by communicating God's love and the Christian message in tangible practical ways that youth can understand and relate to. The individual will provide general program assistance to Kerr Street Mission’s youth development program and give specific oversight to sports and elements of its drop-in programming, and as the leader of the youth ministry at Central Baptist, they will oversee the development of a robust youth ministry. Together this full-time job will bring the local church and an outreach focus into the local community.
Central Baptist Responsibilities:
- Develop a youth ministry that helps students grow in their faith, develop deep friendships, connect with their church, and serve the local community
- Create an attractive and welcoming environment where Central Baptist Youth can invite all of their friends.
- Work with a leadership team of adult and youth, providing training to help them in their maturity as Christian leaders
- Use the dual role of the position to continuously find ways of collaboration with KSM and needs of the community
- Participate in the Sunday School teaching and support Sunday School ministry leader with training, encouragement and curriculum development
- Plan and lead special events such as retreats, summer camps, and mission trips
- Communicate regularly with parents through organized ministry schedules, parent meetings, and messages
- Meet weekly with staff and regular time with the lead pastor
- Participate in Sunday services as per gifting and needs
- Successful candidate will report to the KSM Youth Lead
- Will plan, supervise, and participate in KSM’s youth drop-in programs including athletic games, sports, and activities with the goal of encouraging youth to engage in a variety of activities during program time.
- Will work in a collaborative manner to make connections with local schools, and other youth organizations and leaders to support the continuing evolution of youth programming for the youth of the local community;
- Will support the values of Kerr Street Mission and vision for its youth development program through mentorship.
- Will comfortably socialize with youth ages 8-18 evidenced be being present, on time and fully engaged for the hours of the program.
- Will discern and engage in conversations appropriate for the program and its participants
- Will employ effective conflict management/resolution tools as required
- Will escalate to any and all issues as necessary to program lead any issues that arise or discussed that could impact the youth program.
- Will supervise the use of technology and internet content being viewed during program hours; discerning the appropriateness of the internet content being viewed by program participants.
- Will support the Youth Leader in the day to day maintenance of the program and program areas; ensuring the proper use of the youth centre, and its contents; encouraging youth to respect the space by how it used and maintained
- Make connections that intentionally encourage youth to engage in church led activities particularly those in support of the development of the Central Baptist Youth Ministry program.
- Plan bi-monthly field trips
- Demonstrates an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ
- An evident calling for care and leadership of young people
- A self-starter with initiative
- Ability to work within a team-based environment
- Ability to actively participate in athletic programming
- Good written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, computer skills and proficiency with social media and trends.
- Experience in youth worship culture an asset.
- Professional certification in youth ministry or 3+ years of experience in the area of youth ministry is preferred
This is a full-time position with salary commensurate with experience. Employee benefit plan available.
Please apply with your resume and cover letter. Feel free to include any online links of yourself involved in youth ministry, that you think would be beneficial.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 7583 ]