Learn from outstanding faculty, visiting scholars teachers who are recognized experts in their fields. Tyndale Spring & Summer courses will be offered as scheduled, delivered in either Livestream, Online or Hybrid (Online/Livestream) formats. Registration is open.
Outdoor Christian Education Program Assistant
Outdoor Christian Education Program Assistant
Beaverton, Ontario , L0K 1A0
Located in Beaverton, Ontario, Fair Havens Ministries is a Christian, non-profit organization composed of a Summer Family Camp, Retreat Centre, Outdoor Christian Education Centre, as well as a Youth Discipleship Program called Stepping Stones.
Fair Glen is an Outdoor Education Centre which offers a variety of programs each season. Our Mission is to see people growing in knowledge and experience of God and His creation. Through curriculum that advances classroom goals, students and staff alike learn to be responsible stewards of the environment. Finally we see people considering Jesus in character, faith and reflection through adventure challenges and opportunities to serve/support one another.
We are seeking an individual with strong leadership & public speaking skills, who has a passion for teaching students about God’s creation. They will work alongside the OCE Program Directorto plan, prepare and implement the Outdoor Education Experiences throughout the year. This includes leading programs such as Pond study, Biodiversity Hikes, Canoe and Cross-country Skiing Lessons, belaying students on the High Ropes Challenge Course/Climbing Wall, Fur Traders Canadian History & more (see website for detailed program list). They will welcome schools upon their arrival, help with a few shifts each week to host meals & also assist in leading worship/devotions for school groups.
The Program Assistant plays a vital role in prayerfully growing this important ministry in its program content, guest enjoyment/participation and creatively improving the student learning experience. Overall, to enjoy His creation and share it passionately with others through this department of Fair Havens Ministries! Romans 1:20
The Program Assistant’s role changes each season.
- Year-round: Assist in the planning & teaching of outdoor education programs
- Support staff training & provide a safe learning experience for students
- Encourage and mentor Stepping Stones Staff in the OCE department
- Creatively improve & update programs with new ideas in partnership with the Program Director
- Lead worship and/or devotions for schools (on rotation with OCE team)
- Share weekly meal hosting responsibilities with school set up/clean up “servant teams”
- Professional development: canoeing/climbing/camping certifications, outdoor ed. workshops, camp
- tours & the Global Leadership Summit are some of the learning opportunities attended between
- teaching seasons
- September/October: assist in intern training, teach fall specific outdoor education programs, trail
- maintenance & invasive species removal, campsite prep. for high-school overnight trip
- November/December: winterize & repair program equipment, improve curriculum and lesson plans,
- promote Fair Glen at teacher conferences, create newsletters/promotions and assist in other
- departments as needed
- January/February: teach winter specific programs, assist with maintenance of skiing trails & hockey rink
- March/April: assist in the operations of the Fair Glen maple sugar bush & day trip program stations
- May/June: assist in teaching graduation trip programs, scheduling staff & operating the environmental center when the Program Director is away leading graduation canoe trips up the river.
- July/August: lead nature events for each week of Summer Family Camp & promote Fair Glen.
- assist the Program Director in packing & leading canoe trips for church groups & families
- assist in other departments as needed throughout the summer
- Must be minimum of 22 years of age, mature, responsible adult
- Post-secondary study completion in any of the following subjects: Teaching, Outdoor Education, Environmental Science, Conservation Biology, Biblical Studies, or child & youth worker
- Strong communication, teaching and interpersonal skills
- Previous work/volunteer opportunities in leadership & supervisor roles
- Experience in leading devotions or speaking to youth on spiritual topics
- Experience working in a summer camp environment is an asset – but not a requirement
- Ability to stay positive & role model a healthy attitude in adverse weather conditions (cold or rain)
- Interest & experience with back-country canoeing & camping an asset (qualifications can be provided)
- Physically fit to perform seasonal work tasks (leading skiing/hikes, belaying climbing, carrying sap buckets, portaging/paddling canoes, shoveling snow, splitting firewood etc.)
- Ability to work under pressure and be flexible to changing schedules
- Experience delegating tasks to keep staff team working efficiently
- Ability to take initiative & work towards team goals
- Demonstrates servant-hearted leadership
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to the Fair Glen Program Director
Ryan Lamoureux at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted Under: Camps
Career ID: [ 7601 ]