Join us for a day with Shane Claiborne. Come be inspired, challenged and refreshed as Shane invites us to explore the transforming power of downward mobility. Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2020. Presented by Henri Nouwen Society & Tyndale Spiritual Formation Centre.
Temporary Part Time LEAP Case worker
Temporary Part Time LEAP Case worker
Ottawa, Ontario , K1N 5W5
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary:
Aid low-income customers of Hydro Ottawa in receiving financial assistance to clear past due accounts.
- Receive and process all regional Hydro Ottawa LEAP applications using guidelines set out in LEAP program manual
- Interview/pre-screen/advise potential clients on next steps including referral to appropriate application agencies, time lines or, when necessary, referral to other relevant programs
- Follow up with referring agencies for further documentation and or clarification
- Advise referring agencies of status of client’s application
- Request updated account information on new applications from utility contacts; advise contacts when client has been approved for program
- Follow up and supply utility partners with information as needed
- Maintain accurate and complete files on every application or referral
- Maintain a LEAP appeals process
- Calculate financial eligibility of all applicants
- Arrange for, and distribute bi-monthly and monthly payment cheque to Ottawa Hydro; update utilities of cheque amount, individual LEAP grant amounts and accounts.
- Monitor disbursement of funds
- Maintain monthly and yearly budgets for Hydro LEAP programs
- Prepare and submit monthly and yearly financial and demographical statistics to funding partners
- Lead and participate in program development and direction by participating in the community-based LEAP steering committee
- Meet/orientate new intake workers from referring agencies on program and processes
- Organize and facilitate yearly information/training sessions for referring agencies and other LEAP stakeholders
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with referring agencies, contacts at Hydro Ottawa, utility sub-providers and all other stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned
- May deal with angry and abusive clients
- May encounter verbal abuse
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Relevant post–secondary education or equivalent work experience
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize workload based on client and organizational needs
- Strong computer skills with specific strength in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Effective written and oral communication skills, particularly in negotiating and advocating for clients’ needs
Skills and Capabilities:
- Provide a current clear police background check for the vulnerable sector
- Able to work independently
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Able to work cooperatively with community resource agencies
- Able to effectively communicate over the telephone and through internet
Hours: 24 hours per week. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
Salary: $17.95 per hour
Intereseted applicants are asked to contact Employee Relations Department by January 21, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Counselling
Career ID: [ 7602 ]