Join us for a day with Shane Claiborne. Come be inspired, challenged and refreshed as Shane invites us to explore the transforming power of downward mobility. Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2020. Presented by Henri Nouwen Society & Tyndale Spiritual Formation Centre.
Full Time Night Front Line Supervisor
Full Time Night Front Line Supervisor
Ottawa, Ontario , K1N 5W5
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary: Under the guidance of the Manager of Residential Services ensure staff are effectively meeting client needs as outlined in City of Ottawa Shelter Standards as well as Ottawa Booth Centre operating policies, procedures, and core values.
- Supervises the general operation of Front Desk services
- Provides overall supervision of Centre when necessary
- Assists in the evaluation and discipline of Front Desk workers when necessary
- Coordinates and facilitates training
- Understands and works in compliance with the collective agreement
- Prepares and distributes staff schedules in a timely manner
- Regularly reviews and recommends, if necessary, revisions to operational policies and procedures
- Assists with developing and implementing policies and procedures and other tools for effective communication for client services
- Ensures referral of log notes to appropriate staff
- Facilitates daily checking of client Medication Accountability Record (MAR) sheets and reviews duty roster to ensure updating of resident medication has been completed
- Assists with preparing statistical and operational reports
- Enforces discipline of clientele, i.e. TDA (barred client)
- Checks storage area and ensures storage rules are followed
- Handles management-on-call on a rotation basis with other Front Desk Supervisors and Residential Services Manager
- Performs other duties as assigned including overall supervision of Centre when necessary
- Prepares and ensures departmental schedules and timesheets are completed accurately and on time for approval by the Coordinator/Manager/Director
- Participates in interviewing and hiring of the team
- Helps orient and train all staff, volunteers and student placements in the department
- Keeps accurate and up to date supervision notes for review by Coordinator/Manager/Director
- Assists in the evaluation and discipline of workers when necessary
- Exercises strict confidentiality in all HR issues
- Assists managers/coordinators in insuring all mandatory training is completed on time
- Represents The Salvation Army Ottawa Booth Centre by assisting in the developing and maintaining of contacts with community partners, and attending regular meetings with supervisors from other shelters
- Ensures appropriate liaison with community/outreach workers who need information from or consultation with Front Desk staff; provides Front Desk staff with the appropriate training in order for this to be accomplished
Safety and Security
- Ensures that all procedures, rules and guidelines for the safety and security of residents and staff are enforces impartially
- Performs rounds outside facility
- May deal with angry and abusive clients
- May encounter verbal abuse
- May be required to deal with client overdose and other medical situations
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Relevant community college/university education in social work or related fields or equivalent work experience
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum two years of effective supervisory experience
- Minimum two years of experience working with urban disadvantaged population
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Effective experience in working cooperatively with community resource agencies
- Experience administering Narcan and/or Narcan training a strong asset
Skills and Capabilities:
- Effective communication skills, particularly in negotiating and advocating for clients’ needs
- Good writing skills for documentation and correspondence
- Strong computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bilingualism an asset (English and French)
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
HOURS: 40 hours per week. Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday 10:30pm – 9:00am
SALARY: $20.25 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact the Employee Relations Department by January 24, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7608 ]