Join us on April 28, 2020 for our annual Preaching Conference. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Mary Hulst. Theme: Preaching with Millennials and Gen Z in Mind. Workshops by Tyndale Faculty Gary V. Nelson, Helen Noh, Narry Santos, Rebecca Idestrom, James T. Robertson, Marilyn Draper, and Daniel Wong. Tickets available online. Early bird deadline is March 23, 2020.
Church Planting Pastor
Church Planting Pastor
Oshawa, Ontario , L1G 4P1
Brief Job Description
Do you have a great vision for bringing currently unchurched young adults, youth and young families to know Christ? Are you creative? Do you have energy and excitement about ministry? Use your specific skills and gifts to plant a new, healthy congregation in the existing church building, founded on the CBOQ values. We know God has the right person to lead us in this venture. Are you up for the challenge? If so, please include with your application a brief description of why this calling appeals to you, along with a brief description of your vision, steps and timeline.
Overview of Church and Community
First Baptist Church, Oshawa is 148 years old. We have a traditional Sunday service, followed by coffee and conversation. The majority are seniors. Currently the accessible building is underutilized for the size and use of our congregation. We seek God’s lead in hiring someone to plant a new congregation within FBC where young families, youth and young adults will be drawn to accept the invitation to know God, His message and His plans for their lives. The church is located in a family friendly neighbourhood, situated nearby several prominent schools. The building is vast with local green fields excellent for outdoor activities and FBC sponsored community events. The church has a large commercial kitchen well suited to hosting birthday parties, ping pong games, community dinners, and movie nights in the grand hall.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plant a new congregation in the FBC, Oshawa building
- Working with the Board of Deacons and members of the current congregation, develop, nurture, and implement a vision and plan for the new plant
- The responsibilities and time commitment for the position will grow as the membership grows. In time, the new church will be self sustaining.
- Initially a part-time position of 20 hours per week. The expectation is that the position will grow to a full-time through grants available from CBOQ and through increased membership and financial contributions of the new church plant.
- Create new and exciting ways to reach the largely unchurched youth and young families of Oshawa for Christ
- Provide ongoing leadership to a new group of Christians.
- Provide pastoral care (share the Good News, prayer, counselling, encouragement, etc.)
- CBOQ credentials or equivalent, or in the process
- Bachelor’s degree plus Master of Divinity degree from an accredited seminary or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills - oral and written
- Good computer skills
- Good time management skills
- Creative visionary
- A self-starter committed to excellence .
- Using your specific skills (ie. music, sports, counselling) develop rapport and break through barriers with unchurched people, encouraging them to commit to practicing the way of Jesus.
- Adapt one’s ministry to culture and needs of the target area residents.
- Exercise faith trusting God boldly
Candidates interested in applying for this position of church planting pastor are asked to send a resume and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, candidates are asked to detail their call to ministry and what about this role of planting a church appeals to them. A brief description of your vision, steps and timeline for planting the church is to be included with your application.
Candidates applying for this position are required to agree with the CBOQ core values and be willing to sign a covenant agreement which sets out a statement of ethical pastoral conduct.
Like most church plants, this position is largely a support raised position. We are affiliated with the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ and the Trent Valley Association of Baptist Churches (TVA). Financial grants and supports are available through grants from CBOQ and TVA.
The Leadership of FBC believes this will be a full-time salaried position in the future. We know God has the right person to place with us to help us grow FBC to its fullest potential in sharing the Good News of God’s Kingdom with youth and young families in Oshawa. The right person will be a huge asset to us in reaching this goal. Are you up for the challenge?
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 7656 ]