Join us on April 28, 2020 for our annual Preaching Conference. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Mary Hulst. Theme: Preaching with Millennials and Gen Z in Mind. Workshops by Tyndale Faculty Gary V. Nelson, Helen Noh, Narry Santos, Rebecca Idestrom, James T. Robertson, Marilyn Draper, and Daniel Wong. Tickets available online. Early bird deadline is March 23, 2020.
Full Time Pre-Charge Diversion Caseworker
Full Time Pre-Charge Diversion Caseworker
Ottawa, Ontario , K1N 5W5
Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary
Based on guidelines set out in the User Model by the Ottawa Police Services (OPS) and Salvation Army, the caseworker will create a supportive environment in which participants of the Pre-Charge Diversion program may take accountability for their actions, which led to their offense.
- Pre-charge Diversion Program
- Receive client referral from OPS and/or Loss Prevention managers and complete client intake interviews to determine eligibility to program and appropriate degree of diversion necessary based on crime committed
- Select appropriate work placements based on client skills and the needs of the placement agency; contact the placement agency to determine the client’s suitability
- Confirm the client is completing his/her hours and assist client in fulfilling his/her responsibilities
- Ensure clients comply with conditions imposed by the courts and contact OPS if the client has failed to comply with a condition of the order
- When required, act as the main contact between all parties involved in the pre-charge process
- Counsels clients concerning their compliance with program requirements and monitors their activities related to the program
- Ensure each referral is documented in a casefile, including intake interview, risk assessment case notes and termination summaries. Ensure all case notes and documentation are as per OPS standards and subpoena-ready at all times
- When necessary, provide referrals to other programs and services of the Salvation Army and/or other appropriate community services or resources
- Receive fees as mandated by court orders and process appropriately according to Ottawa Booth Centre financial policies and procedures
- Prepares and submits statistical reports as required.
- Foster and maintain a strong relationship with community partners such as with Ottawa Police Services (OPS), Loss Prevention Officers
- John School
- Liaises with Ottawa Police Services on a regular basis for information-sharing purposes and to determine in advance when a John sweep will be conducted so appropriate referral deadlines can be arranged
- Conduct assessment interviews and determine eligibility of potential John School clients
- Maintain complete client files and other records
- Coordinate John School activities by arranging date, time, location, speakers and course materials
- Prepare any required reports and documentation resulting from a client’s successful or unsuccessful completion of John School
- Prepare annual John School report for the Ottawa Police Service
- Attend court when necessary
- Attend annual John School sub-committee meetings
- Court- Support Services
- Provide drop in client services which may include providing general support, responding to requests for snacks, supplies and distribution of bus tickets referrals to other programs and services
- Ensure supplies and snacks are maintained and available for drop-in program
- When required, attend Court in supportive role for pre-charge clients
- Health and Safety
- Adhere to all health and safety policies and procedures in place; complies with all instructions from the employer concerning health and safety as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WSIB
- Ensure all procedures, rules and guidelines for the safety and security of clients and staff are enforced and respected
Education and Experience Qualifications
Post-secondary education in social work, criminology or similar discipline or relevant work experience
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Current experience working with a marginalized population
- A strong understanding of the Canadian Criminal and Justice System and the unique benefits faced by a marginalized population
Skills and Capabilities:
- Excellent organization skills, including the ability to exercise analytical skills and good judgment
- Ability to assist and guide individuals in goal and strategy planning
- Proven casework skills including the ability to make sound decisions
- Proven de-escalation skills
- Strong interview skills
- Strong networking skills
- Crisis Intervention skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Bilingualism (English & French) an asset
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
Hours: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday 7:30am – 4:00pm
Salary: $19.00 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact the Employee Relations Department by February 24, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7732 ]