Join us on April 28, 2020 for our annual Preaching Conference. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Mary Hulst. Theme: Preaching with Millennials and Gen Z in Mind. Workshops by Tyndale Faculty Gary V. Nelson, Helen Noh, Narry Santos, Rebecca Idestrom, James T. Robertson, Marilyn Draper, and Daniel Wong. Tickets available online. Early bird deadline is March 23, 2020.
Temporary Full Time Moneywise Case Worker
Temporary Full Time Moneywise Case Worker
Ottawa, Ontario , K1N 5W5
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
- Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
- Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
- Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary
To assist singles and families with history of chronic homelessness due to poor money management knowledge and skills. Moneywise Caseworkers will provide support in acquiring money management skills through financial literacy, budget coaching and establishing an individualized service financial plan while providing advocacy and referrals to appropriate social services available in the community.
- Client Services
- Accept external, internal and self-referrals for those who require money management support and complete an intake process to determine if Moneywise trusteeship fits clients’ service needs
- Complete an individual goal-setting meeting with each client and develop a customized service plan focusing on financial goals, teaching financial literacy and graduation
- Support the client in attaining financial independence through ongoing budget coaching
- Educate clients, based on their needs, of appropriate services available to them in the community as well as at the Ottawa Booth Centre
- Advocate and negotiate with creditors and/or other community service providers for repayment plans or program support as required for each client
- Ensure all bills and repayments are processed according to monthly budget plan
- Complete ongoing review of each client’s financial status to determine financial independence
- Prepare and participate in weekly client allowance distribution
- Program Development and Review
- Assist with analyzing operational data to evaluate program effectiveness
- When necessary, participate in developing program revisions
- Network with community partners, including other Salvation Army units, who are referral agencies and/or sources of assistance for clients
- Develop and present presentations to inform community partners of details of the program
- Develop workshops design for clients focusing on financial literacy, community service integration and basic life skills
- Participate in committees and outreach opportunities focused on financial literacy and services
- Work with accounting support staff to ensure accurate client trustee records
- Maintain complete, accurate and up to date documentation in case files, including all case notes, documentations and correspondences
- Obtain appropriate documentation and signed release forms as required under the Privacy Act legislations (latest revision)
- Maintain accurate and up to date statistics;
- Prepare operational reports as requested by management
Financial and Materials Management
- Disbursement of clients weekly, biweekly or monthly cash allowance
- Responsible for ensuring clients outstanding and ongoing bill payments are made according to their individual budget service plan
Education and Experience Qualifications
Completed relevant community college/university education in social services, financial/accounting services or related disciplines
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Familiar with various social income and benefit providers such as OW, ODSP, OTB, GST, CPP, OAS, CCTB and work-related salary
- Minimum two years’ experience working with basic financial, money-handling, and/or reconciliation of money transactions
- Minimum two years’ experience working with a disadvantaged clientele
- Experience with identifying and assessing needs and developing service plans
- Experience in setting up and administering trusteeships, including budget preparation, budget coaching, negotiation, and monitoring
Skills and Capabilities:
- Strong negotiating and advocating skill
- Strong writing skills for documentation and correspondence
- Strong computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
Hours: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
Salary: $18.68 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact the Employee Relations Department by february 24, 2020
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 7734 ]