Ancaster, Ontario , L9K 1J4
Circulation Supervisor (11 months/year)
For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 39 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 800 students, with almost 100 faculty and growing. Faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian s and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
The Circulation Supervisor oversees all aspects of library circulation including training, supervising, scheduling and evaluating the work of student assistants. The individual in this position performs circulation duties, provides interlibrary loan services, coordinates stack maintenance and inventory, maintains records and produces statistical reports.
- Performs circulation duties using the integrated library system, including short-term loans (course reserves)
- Coordinates and participates in the general maintenance of the library collection including shelving, processing of materials, stack maintenance, and inventory
- Schedules, trains and supervises student assistants, monitors their payroll records and hours
- Maintains a circulation procedures manual, provides circulation policy information to library users
- Maintains records and collects system-generated statistics and reports
- Contacts library users regarding holds, overdue loans, interlibrary loans, and system-generated notices
- Collects revenue and records transactions (fines and fees)
- Assists with interlibrary loan services, maintains a manual of interlibrary loan procedures
- Other duties as required
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- 2 years of recent experience in a high volume public service area, and with online library systems
- Proficiency with keyboarding, MS Word and MS Excel and ability to learn new technologies and procedures
- Essential: punctuality, reliability, accuracy, and attention to detail, ingrained customer service skills
- Accuracy in handling of credit/debit transactions
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, good oral and written communication skills, ability to deal courteously and effectively with people, to maintain confidentiality
- Supervisory experience preferred
- This position requires lifting, bending, reaching, pushing and carrying weights of approximately 10 kgs (22 lbs).
- This position is permanent full-time, for 11 months each year
- Preferred Effective Date: August 1, 2020
- Library Technician diploma from a recognized community college.
- Asset: a university baccalaureate degree
Position Reports to: Library Director
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: June 21, 2020
Applicants are requested to email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 7942 ]