Ancaster, Ontario , L9K 1J4
For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 39 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 800 students, with almost 100 faculty and growing. Faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian s and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
The Bookstore Manager has direct oversight and operational leadership of the bookstore which serves the needs of the students, faculty, staff and members of the community through the provision of textbooks, trade books, merchandise, office supplies and a wide variety of other goods. The Manager functions as the buyer and makes decisions relating to product sold in the Bookstore. The Manager will use effective marketing strategies to promote the bookstore, react quickly to changing needs in a dynamic environment, develop promotional events and activities, and respond to customer service inquiries and issues.
- Prepare annual budgets and business plans for future growth and prepare sales projections to determine likelihood of meeting budget targets
- Analyze and monitor sales to make decisions about future ordering
- Determine and implement store layout in order to provide the optimum use of space and merchandising to provide an attractive and welcoming atmosphere
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to promote Bookstore sales and special events
- Plan and prepare for Redeemer related special events
- Research new markets for Bookstore sales in order to increase service to the university community
- Responsible for ensuring that all course materials are available for the students at the beginning of each semester
- Supervise the training and scheduling of staff in order to provide superior and prompt service to Bookstore customers
- Develop sales routines and office practices to provide proper record keeping for orders and sales, including regular sales reconciliations
- Process all Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) to ensure timely payment of invoices and receipt of payments due
- Order all office equipment and office supplies for the operation of the store
- Prepare progress and sales projection reports to determine likelihood of meeting budget targets
- Prepare and implement yearly inventory counts and document all discrepancies to ensure that the value placed on the inventory is accurate
- Monitor inventory levels and analyze sales to determine which products are to be reordered or returned
- Order all course materials in consultation with faculty
- Determine numbers of texts to be ordered by analyzing the used text market and shared text patterns and past buying methods
- Decision Making and Customer Service:
- Draft policies as necessary for sales on campus
- Research and make recommendations for the purchase of point-of-sale and inventory computer software and be responsible for implementing software updates to ensure that there is no interruption of service
- Responsible for problem resolution with customers and suppliers
- Responsible for the hiring,training, and supervision of staff
- Prepares performance evaluations
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- The Bookstore Manager must be familiar with academic topics, the literary canon and important authors and be able to make decisions on the academic level of books to order
- Familiarity with the broader Christian academic community.
- Minimum of 4 years of office experience (office routines, ordering procedures and record keeping)
- Familiarity with publishers, distributors and brokerage procedures and order processing
- Knowledge of buying trends in campus bookstores
- Minimum 4 years experience in retail customer experience - sales, handling payments, problem resolution with customers
- Understanding of, and commitment to Redeemer University (mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity) and ability to articulate its mission effectively and persuasively
- Participate in communal activity that supports and encourages a university campus environment where the holistic development of all persons embodies Christian principles that advance the mission and Christian character of Redeemer University
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and understanding of various types of assistive technology
Position Reports to: VP, Finance & Administration
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: Friday, June 26th
Applicants are requested to email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 7952 ]