Aurora, Ontario , L4G 1L7
Christie Gardens Apartments and Care has been serving elders in Toronto for over 30 years and was the first not-for-profit community in Toronto offering a true continuum with choices to suit lifestyle and needs. Christie Gardens is expanding its services to include managing other facilities with shared values and vision for senior’s retirement living.
The Meadows of Aurora is a place where seniors can live their life surrounded by nature’s beauty and tranquility while enjoying state-of-the-art facilities, safe and controlled building access, lush green spaces, walking trails, seating areas and a spectacular pond.
The Meadows of Aurora will provide a quality-oriented facility, while enabling individuals to ‘age in place’ based on the belief that seniors prefer to remain in their own community near family, friends, church and healthcare providers.
Christie Gardens seeks a team-oriented, skilled leader to be its Executive Director at The Meadows. The selected candidate will seek to ensure that all residents and staff are satisfied with the services and environment provided by The Meadows, while ensuring adherence to Christie Gardens’ and The Meadows’ stated vision, values and beliefs as well as its budget. As an employee of Christie Gardens, the Executive Director will confidently coach and lead The Meadows management in inspiring, nurturing, disciplining and maintaining a healthy staff.
Reporting to the CEO and COO of Christie Gardens, the Executive Director will function as an advocate for, and essential link between team members, team leaders and The Meadows head office. This position is also directly responsible for developing and adhering to financial plans, preparing reports, and building strong relationships between residents, families, staff and the broader community.
The Value of Working with Christie Gardens at The Meadows of Aurora
Christie Gardens is an engaged a seasoned operator chosen by the Board of The Meadows to oversee its operations. This means the Executive Director is able to access the team at Christie Gardens without operating in isolation.
As well, The Meadows is a brand new, gorgeous setting with a great group of residents (a kind, smart, and caring community) and an opportunity to build your own team.
- Community Leadership
- Develop, implement and evaluate the community’s planning/direction/strategy in alignment with The Meadows vision, goals and initiatives.
- In collaboration with the CEO and COO, monitor operating budgets, payroll records/reports and other accounting systems.
- Ensure high standards are kept with respect to all building systems and facilities management and maintenance
- Build a working knowledge of trends within the eldercare industry, as well as provincial regulations, policies and procedures, and related hospice practices
- Assure accuracy and relevance in the development and implementation of all organizational systems and policies, personnel policies, job specifications, performance appraisals and disciplinary evaluation methods by periodic review of same. (The CEO and/or COO must sign off on all policies and amendments).
- Overall Team Management
- Ensure completion and maintenance of all required team member paperwork.
- Recruit, hire and supervise all team leaders; complete 90-day performance reviews and all subsequent reviews.
- Be involved in team member hires and initial training as needed.
- Promote teamwork through ongoing mentoring, coaching, etc.
- Identify and resolve resident and team complaints/problems.
- Resident and Family Services
- Seek to develop good relationships with residents, staff members, families, community leaders, volunteers, etc.
- Ensure all residents and families are satisfied with resident care programs and services.
- Assist in counseling residents and family members during transitional periods.
- Oversee safety, support services and scheduled activities for residents.
- Christie Gardens Connection / Liaison
- Represent The Meadows resident, staff and family community to Christie Gardens leadership
- Provide a positive and essential link/liaison between The Meadows community and the Christie Gardens leadership
- Financial Leadership
- Implement systems to foster strong census: minimum 92% occupancy.
- Drive a targeted operating income on gross revenues.
- Manage operating expenses within 1% of the budget, demonstrating vigilance against “cost-creep.”
- Community Leadership
- Coach and lead management in inspiring, nurturing, disciplining and maintaining a healthy staff.
- Educate, inspire and galvanize staff to approach their work with a sense of ownership and connection to the success of the business.
- Provide leadership in ongoing attentiveness regarding community innovations and developments that pertain to resident health, growth and satisfaction – including food quality and choice, activities and learning options, etc.
- Maintain a healthy, respectful relationship with government connections, and fulfill regulatory reporting requirements as needed.
- Encourage ongoing activities program evolution that reflects an interest in innovation, life-long learning, value of relationship and connection, both within and outside The Meadows walls.
Experience and Qualifications
- Leadership/management experience in a non-profit retirement community is ideal
- Knowledge of and experience in a Continuum of Care model an asset
- Project management experience in a new-build, start-up setting would be beneficial
- Dedication to and love for seniors
- Strong commitment with Christie Gardens and The Meadows vision, values
- Personal identification with The Meadows Christian beliefs and faith perspective
- Able to manage budgets, balancing and integrating efficiency and values
- High energy level and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Compassionate, highly relational
- Self-motivated, hard-working (sets the bar) and committed to excellence
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Team-oriented management style and experience building strong performing teams
- Excellent written and verbal skills for effective communication and the ability to facilitate small and large group presentations
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to work flexible hours
- A bachelor’s degree
- Proficient using business related technology
The Executive Director reports to both the CEO and the COO of Christie Gardens. While the CEO of Christie Gardens is directly responsible to the Board of Directors of The Meadows, the Executive Director may also, as required, interact with the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director directly oversees five team leaders who will be employees of The Meadows. These roles include: Directors of Resident Services, Director of Environmental Services, Director of Administration, Director of Health Services, and Director of Dining Services. In due course, the staff complement at The Meadows will be approximately 140 employees (72 full-time and 56 part-time).
Posted Under: Administration
Career ID: [ 7994 ]