Ancaster, Ontario , L9K 1J4
For nearly 40 years, Redeemer University has stood out across Canada for its commitment to a Christian undergraduate liberal arts and sciences education that develops the whole person. Rooted in a Reformed Biblical worldview, and including a diverse community representing over 50 Christian denominations, Redeemer seeks to answer the fundamental questions about where we fit into God’s story while it prepares students to engage in society’s biggest challenges. A rigorous academic program with an interdisciplinary core is supported by a vibrant community characterized by caring discipleship. The result is an enriching and transformational educational experience integrating faith, learning and service.
Redeemer offers 39 majors and streams that lead to either a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education degree. Redeemer currently serves nearly 800 students, with almost 100 faculty and growing. Faculty are engaged in teaching, service to the community, and research, some of which is supported in part by the Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), and other funding agencies and donors.
A privately funded and publicly chartered institution, Redeemer offers excellent Christ-centred undergraduate teaching, strong investments in research, rich student-faculty interaction, and unique opportunities for experiential and holistic learning. As a member of Universities Canada, Redeemer produces graduates who are accepted into graduate programs across the continent and beyond. In recent national surveys, Redeemer students have ranked the school as one of the top universities in Canada for overall student satisfaction, especially for providing a nurturing and challenging academic environment along with its warm on-campus community.
Located on a beautiful 86-acre campus in Hamilton, Ontario, Redeemer operates under a charter from the Government of Ontario and is a member of Universities Canada (UC), the Council for Christian s and Universities (CCCU), and the Canadian Council of Christian Charities (CCCC).
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Financial Services, the General Accountant (GA) is responsible for tasks associated with the administration of Redeemer University College’s RRSP/RRIF Portfolio, entering cash receipts into the accounting system, reconciling accounts receivables monthly, reconciling donations recorded in Colleague/Raisers’ Edge, and coordinating the financial administration of all fixed assets.
- RRSP/RRIF Investments
- Enter deposits, withdrawals, transfers in or out and interest when accounts are closed throughout the month into the RRSP program.
- Compare the RRSP/RRIF database to the accounting system for accuracy at month end and reconcile to the General Ledger.
- Prepare a RRSP /RRIF summary of contracts and transactions listing of RRSP/RRIF holders at month end and provide report to the Financial Services Director.
- Calculate and submit Withholding Tax monthly and forward to Accounts Payable Clerk for recording.
- Calculate RRIF payments on a monthly basis.
- Prepare official tax contribution receipts from the 60th day of the year to December 31 and from January 1 to March 1.
- Calculate withdrawal amounts from the RRSP portfolio for the calendar year for T4RIF, T4RSP.
- Prepare T4RIF and T4RSP annually, mail to clients and submit to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Review updates from the Trustee, Concentra Financial and from CRA in relation to RRSP and RRIF.
- Calculate manual interest on accounts that are transferred or withdrawn from RRSP and RRIF accounts.
- Calculate the annual minimum requirements for the RRIF holders for the current year.
- Prepare annually a new contract list for RRSP/RRIF with account reconciliation for the calendar year.
- Prepare adjusting journal entries as required.
- Maintain list of all RRSP/RRIF holders for anti-terrorism screening.
- General Ledger
- Reconcile monthly Accounts Receivables and balance to the General Ledger.
- Reconcile monthly Colleague/Raisers’ Edge donations
- Enter deposits into Colleague and assist General Accounts clerk with deposits during peak periods and holidays.
- Fixed and Minor Assets
- Locate and tag fixed assets, file invoices with tag numbers, and enter tag numbers and pertinent information into Colleague Fixed Asset module.
- Balance Fixed Assets to General Ledger accounts.
- Train and supervise student employee, and prepare annual Tax Form
Preferred Skills and Attributes:
- Familiarity with tax reporting requirements and basic understanding of RRSPs and RRIFs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to identify with the faith-based mission of Redeemer University College through understanding and personal commitment
- Understanding of, and commitment to Redeemer University (mission, values, and Reformed Christian identity) and ability to articulate its mission effectively and persuasively
- Participate in communal activity that supports and encourages a university campus environment where the holistic development of all persons embodies Christian principles that advance the mission and Christian character of Redeemer University
Minimum - College diploma combined with bookkeeping work experience
Position Reports to: Assistant Director, Financial Services
Submit Applications to: HR@redeemer.ca (please quote Position Title in Subject line)
Expiry Date: July 19, 2020
Applicants are requested to email their application materials and include a statement that articulates their faith perspective and its relation to the mission of Redeemer University. A range of qualifications are evaluated including distinguishing characteristics that demonstrate congruence with our identity as a university in the Protestant and Reformed Christian tradition. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 7999 ]