Toronto, Ontario , M5S 2H4
- Reports to: Entrepreneurial Leader/Interim Director of Facilities
- Hours: 32 hours a week (6-month contract, to start)
- Term: August 1, 2020 – January 31, 2021
- Compensation: $21.50 per hour; not eligible for benefits
Overview of Knox Church
Knox Church is a large, urban, evangelical and reformed Christian congregation with an emphasis on expository preaching, local and global missions, and intercessory prayer. Located next to the University of Toronto’s downtown campus, Knox Church is increasingly multi-cultural and multi-ethnic in its makeup. The congregation comprises many who live throughout the Greater Toronto Area, as well as those in the neighbourhood and many who are connected to the University of Toronto. Knox Church is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Knox Church facilities include a 115-year-old Church building, a 100-year-old multi-unit residential building, and a 1970’s-era facility attached to the main Church building that includes a gym, bowling alley and additional program space. Knox Church site is one acre in size. In total Knox Church site includes almost 70,000 square feet of building infrastructure.
The Maintenance Coordinator's responsibilities include implementing preventative maintenance, liaising with contractors, performing regular inspections of equipment and supplies, and diagnosing and fixing facilities issues. In addition, the Maintenance Coordinator handles snow removal and assists with the overall maintenance of Knox Church grounds.
To be successful as a Maintenance Coordinator, you should demonstrate excellent organizational skills, and be able to think on your feet.
- Maintenance and Upkeep of Property and Grounds
- Performs maintenance duties and general repairs of Knox Church’s property, facilities and grounds
- Tasks include but are not limited to: painting, small renovations, carpentry, plumbing, repairs, replacing light bulbs & defective ballasts, snow removal, graffiti removal, clean-up of garbage on exterior of site, installing AC units, ensure grounds / parking lot are free of trash / hazards
- Maintains up-to-date log on building projects, repairs and systems
- Completes preventative maintenance projects on an ongoing basis
- Owns the programming and maintenance of the church security alarm system and trains new employees on building opening and closing procedures
- When the scale of a project, or technical expertise level requires (such as for electrical, HVAC, large project completed renovation projects), coordinates with external contractors and any internal stakeholders to get the project completed
- Remains available for off hours maintenance emergencies; communicates unavailability
- Assesses maintenance procedures and makes recommendations for improvement
- Is safety minded and ensures basic tools and equipment are in working order
- Participates as an active member of Knox’s Health and Safety committee; conducts monthly Health and Safety committee walk arounds
- Keeps track of supply and material inventories and orders new materials when required
- Assists with rodent and pest control as needed
- Oversees hazardous material disposal as needed
- Maintains first aid kits/stations & AED’s
- Assists custodial and facilities staff with specific tasks upon request, including setting up for large onsite events (when we are able to gather again
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- We encourage all of our employees to become involved in the life of the church
- Participates in weekly supervisory calls
- Tracks and submits expenses
- Submits hourly timesheets, weekly
- Keeps the maintenance shop and supplies in a clean and professional manner
- You are a Christian with the servant heart of Jesus Christ
- You are able to work independently and take initiative
- You are a natural problem solver and thrive on getting the job done
- You aspire for excellence in your work
- You are reliable, flexible, patient and adaptable in the face of changing project demands
- You love challenges and learning new skills
- You possess the ability to see the “big picture” and are known for your attention to detail
- You are relational and enjoy interfacing with others; you have a calm demeanour and a proven track record of interacting well with others
- Min. high school diploma; those with college or university credentials are also encouraged to apply
- Extensive repair work experience; comfortable with hand tools, power tools
- Min. 3 years of working experience, preferably in building/grounds maintenance, or manual labour
- Prior Occupational Health and Safety, WHMIS, Fire Safety, First Aid and AODA training, would each be considered assets
- Physical strength and good hand-eye coordination; able to lift up to 50 lbs. and climb high ladders
- Fluency with the English language – including the ability to speak, read and comprehend technical instructions
- Excellent communication skills – comfortable with email, phone, text; cell phone user
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Google Apps (Gmail)
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- A valid driver’s license would be an asset
- Must be willing to complete a police background check and comply with the policies of Knox
How to Apply
Knox Church is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR representative of any accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply no later than July 31, 2020 via https://knoxtoronto.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22.
We appreciate all applications, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 8014 ]