Scarborough, Ontario, Ontario , M1V 4Y1
SCBC is now accepting applications for a full time/part-time Building Custodian to assist the day-to-day physical conditions of the church facility including the building, parking lot and the wood lot, and all associated systems to ensure the facility is safe, hygienic, presentable and comfortable for use in compliance with municipal code, fire, health and safety standards. The incumbent will be subject to a 6-month probation period. The Church may confirm the position or terminate the employment at the end of the probationary period.
Duties of Custodian
Main Function: Maintain clean buildings and grounds, make minor repairs including building security and COVID-19 pandemic safety precaution protocol for entry to church building.
You will be fully in charge of all part-time custodians including casual workers on Sunday in terms of assigning cleaning and custodian duties as a team to complete the overall cleanliness, safety and security of the church building and ground. You will also work closely with the Building Superintendent to ensure smooth coordination among building staff in discharging day-to-day custodian duties and occasional special assignments by the Administration Manager.
You will report directly to the General Building Maintenance Manager and Administration Manager.
- Clean and wax floors of all areas including the Gymnasium and its store rooms as needed; dust furniture/equipment such as CCTV cameras and motion sensors; wash walls/folding tables/windows/glass and mirrors (including those inside toilets); cleaning of whiteboards; vacuum/wash carpets/areas as needed.
- Maintain clean washrooms; replenish toilet rolls/hand towels/liquid soap/urinal mats/urinal moth tablet; clean urinals and toilet bowls; empty waste and recycling bins.
- Open/close rooms and building daily as needed.
- Checking out/in audio/visual equipment according to church office bookings and as needed.
- General security services such as securing all entrance doors before locking up the facilities.
- Request cleaning and maintenance supplies and equipment as needed.
- Operate heating and cooling equipment according to schedule and as needed/instructed.
- Mow grass and trim shrubbery during summer and remove snow at entrances and sidewalks during winter including salting.
- Maintain clean church entrance/sidewalk/parking areas as needed and water plants (indoor/outdoor) as requested.
- Check with church office or supervisor daily for special assignments.
- Move furniture/choir panels; set up movable partitions as requested; set up tables, chairs for various functions and activities; set up meeting areas for regular and special occasions and tidying-up all areas/room after the event/activities
- Carry out general electrical servicing such as changing of light bulbs/florescent tubes etc, plumbing and equipment repairs as requested.
- Paint walls, furniture, and equipment as needed.
- Perform messenger service.
- Report emergency, safety and security incidents, disrepairs to Supervisors.
- Cleaning of elevators stainless steel wall panels, ceiling grids, carpets and aluminum doors (using stainless steel cleaning agent) periodically.
- Cleaning of kitchen/pantry including floors, exhaust hood/filters, washing basins, microwave-ovens, gas ovens and stoves, refrigerators (including removal rotten or unconsumed food etc.)
- Preparing/cleaning BBQ stove/gas cylinders for use by members according to schedule and as requested.
- Assign suitable traffic cones/signs at the carpark as needed.
- Provide assistance to the Building Superintendent as needed.
- Advise cleaning contractor to perform cleaning at particular spots as needed.
- Record readings in suitable records and any notable incident/unfinished job in the occurrence log book as needed.
- Perform other duties such as fire warden at fire or fire drill or any other emergency situations.
- Receive training for building maintenance and related equipment use ( e.g. scissor lift or high level hoist).
- During the COVID-19 pandemic period, enhanced cleaning and disinfection is required throughout the building, strict compliance to SCBC Health Team’s instructions and advice is a must.
- Ability to work independently in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evening and periodic on-call coverage.
- Academic or technical qualification and certificate in building and environmental systems from a Community College would be an asset.
- Ability to perform minor repairs (electrical, plumbing and minor carpentry).
- Good command of English, Cantonese & Mandarin: oral and written, to carry out instructions.
- Experience in facility cleaning and/or janitorial work.
- Ability to work co-operatively with church staff, pastors, volunteers, congregation and visitors in a multicultural environment.
- Physically fit, able to climb stairs, ladders and perform related activities and able to perform general gardening
- A valid first aider and no color blindness would be an asset.
- Ability to use electronic media such as email and WhatsApp for communications such as send/receive official information from the Administration.
- Maintain helpfulness and hospitality to visitors and congregants at all times
Interested candidates please submit a covering letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Building Custodian” or submit your application letter to church office in sealed envelope with “Building Custodian” clearly marked, no later than August 16, 2020.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all interested applicants. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Posted Under: Administration
Career ID: [ 8071 ]