Public Health Compliance Officer
Public Health Compliance Officer
Markham, Ontario , L3R 6G3
Context and Culture
Since 1971, Peoples Christian Academy (PCA) Inc. (“PCA”) has been operating as an independent, faith-based, coeducational day school offering a Junior School (JK-Gr. 5), a Middle School (Grs. 6-8) and a Ministry of Education inspected Senior School (Gr. 9-12). Our Ministry of Education inspected Early Learning Centre (30 mos+) opened in 2013. PCA offers a collegial working environment and values work/life balance. The Christian community culture of PCA is one that aspires to strengthen the home, church, and school bond, and values mutual communication, collaboration, consultation, and trust. PCA is a non-profit, registered charity under the Income Tax Act (Canada), and is governed by an elected Board of Directors.
Mission and Vision
The mission: Peoples Christian Academy is committed to preparing the whole person to reach the whole world for Christ.
The vision: Peoples Christian Academy is a missional school where children are trained in Christ’s ways in order to be placed by Him in their respective mission fields to defend Christian truth and values, serving His purpose for His glory.
Each employee at PCA must have received Jesus Christ as his/her personal Saviour and believe that the Bible is God’s Word and standard for faith and daily living. The employee shall be a Christian role model in attitude, speech, and actions towards others. He/she shall also be in wholehearted agreement with PCA’s Statement of Faith and Core Family Values, and be a member in good standing at a local evangelical church that has a statement of faith and core family values in agreement with PCA’s. He/she shall have the spiritual maturity, personal qualities, and professional qualifications to serve the PCA community in his/her role in accordance with these requisite beliefs and values.
Job Purpose and Summary
PCA is seeking a paramedical professional who will facilitate the development of policies and procedures related to public health education, screening, and contact tracing, and who will manage their related implementation to ensure the health and safety of staff and students during the school day in alignment with established governmental and public health protocols. The PHCO will also act as PCA's representative liaison with the York Region Public Health (YRPH) department, interface with members of the Medical Advisory Committee (MAC), collaborate with the school Leadership Team (LT), and report directly to the Principal / Director of Operations and Ministry (DOM). The ideal candidate will be well-versed in best practices of public health and safety in Ontario, and able to work comfortably with a broad cross-section of school community members (students, parents, staff, and leadership).
Under the direction of the DOM, the PHCO oversees both the health and safety practices and the maintenance of all necessary and appropriate records and reporting (i.e.: staff/student arrival temperatures, illness/contact tracing), follows-up, files, and processes data to ensure the smooth compliance of health and safety practices required under law and recommended by the regional public health unit, focusing on accuracy and transparency.
The goal is to contribute to the overall health and safety of the school community and to help the school be fully aware of its condition. This way it can make the right decisions to safeguard long term health and wellness of the community, and the ongoing operational success of the school.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee development and implementation of staff and student screening and contract tracing protocols;
- Supervise daily arrival/drop-off and dismissal/pick-up procedures and related administrative tasks and follow-up;
- Advise, educate, and train staff, parents and students regarding best practices in health and safety-related to the prevention of disease transmission.
- Clinical Triage: appropriately directing staff/students to their primary care provider/assessment centre/urgent care center/ER/Public Health depending on an individual's symptom presentation and/or exposure history
- Close Follow-ups: keep track of those who are undergoing testing, who are COVID-positive, who have symptoms, and who have been "cleared"
- Clearance Guidance: works alongside the school and York Region Public Health to assist with clearance guidance for staff and students
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven experience as an occupational health, public health paramedical professional
- Analytical, a quick learner, strong computer skills, including: MS Word, Excel, Gmail
- Knowledgeable of Best Practices in Health and Safety Principles, Policies and Procedures
- Great attention to detail and excellent organization skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ideal blend of both compassion and assertiveness
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Nursing, or related field
- Minimum 2 years’ experience within the paramedical, medical, or public health field
- 1-3 years recent related experience of a not-for-profit organization in Canada an asset
Conditions of Employment
- This is a full-time position, based on 37.5 hours per week. Hourly pay rate is $25-$30, with pension and benefits, including a generous, non-taxable child(ren) tuition discount for staff.
- Clear evidence of active Christian faith and lifestyle
- Full adherence with the Peoples Christian Academy Statement of Faith and Statement of Core Family Values (attached)
Please submit your cover letter, resume (include volunteerism), recent/current references (2-3 professional, 1 personal/character, 1 pastoral), with the subject line, “PHCO” to:
PCA Medical Advisory Committee, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that PCA welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Please also note that as a condition of employment, short-listed interview candidates will be required to submit a police vulnerable sector check dated to within 6 months of application.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 8089 ]