Pastor of Discipleship and Mission
Pastor of Discipleship and Mission
Hamilton, Ontario , L8K1C2
New Hope Church is a community of people living and worshipping in Hamilton’s east end. We yearn to grow in Christ and share God’s grace in our neighbourhood. Our roots as a small church plant began in the Christian Reformed Church ten years ago. Today, our members come from a wide variety of socio-economic and denominational backgrounds, including Reformed, Mennonite, Catholic, Pentecostal, Baptist and United. Relationships matter to us, and our common unity in Christ is central to the way we operate as a community.
We believe that the good news of Jesus Christ changes everything. We are a community of people excited about the robust Gospel of the Kingdom of God as announced, embodied, and begun in Jesus of Nazareth. We profess the story of Scripture to be the true story of the whole world. We believe in the restoration of creation and the reconciliation of all things to God. We believe that, through Jesus, the New Creation has come in the midst of the old, and that the Gospel transforms every aspect of human life through the power of the Spirit.
We submit to the authority of the Spirit-inspired Word of God and proclaim this as the bastion of truth, while also affirming the Apostles Creed, asking the same of any interested applicant. We humbly seek God’s Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth, aligning and correcting us as we navigate our way through a Canadian culture shaped by the idols of individualism, relativism, and consumerism.
As the Church, we are citizens of God’s Kingdom and take part in His creative and lifegiving work of healing and restoration in our corner of creation. We understand our role to serve as the presence of Christ in a broken world and respect all people as the imagebearers of God. We believe in second chances, speaking out against injustice, and the importance of regularly reminding one another of the secure hope we have in the person of Jesus.
New Hope is looking for a pastor who will come alongside us and help us to become more faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. We are seeking a leader who can both strengthen our understanding of, and commitment to, our mission as the people of God. We are in search of someone who is excited about the Kingdom of God, enthusiastic about the Scriptures, and wise in discernment. We seek to be led by someone who will better equip our church to live out the good news of Jesus in our community.
THE PASTOR OF DISCIPLESHIP AND MISSION WILL:
- Strengthen New Hope’s missional understanding.
- Create discipleship pathways. This may include leading or forming new members classes/groups, small groups, and one-to-one discipleship/mentorship relationships.
- Lead New Hope’s teaching and preaching team and preach on occasion (1/6 weeks). Guide team members in discernment and accountability to God’s Word.
- Intentionally provide one-to-one support for New Hope as needed, aimed at strengthening leadership in discipleship/mentorship relationships.
- Provide support for New Hope’s pastoral care team, helping to identify discipleship needs and support pastoral care as it relates specifically to discipleship and faith needs as they arise.
- Lead baptisms, marriage ceremonies, and other special occasions as needed.
- Participate in New Hope’s partnership with the True City network of congregations in Hamilton New Hope is seeking a leader committed to joining in the work that the Spirit has already been doing in our community and helping us to structure this more effectively. Preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate a clear understanding of missional living and possess the necessary skills required to equip and empower existing leaders within the community. Eligible candidates will be encouraged to live in the neighbourhood, and membership and participation in the full life of the community is expected.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with a preference for those with a Master of Divinity or equivalent.
- Demonstrated leadership and participation in discipleship ministries
- Experience working in marginalized communities is an asset.
REMUNERATION: $30,000 for 20-25 hours per week, flexible days and weekends
START DATE: January 2021
Interested candidates may apply until September 30, 2020 at 6:00 PM.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The team will consider applications and commence interviews after October 1st, 2020.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 8120 ]