Writing & Communications Specialist
Writing & Communications Specialist
Guelph, Ontario , N1H 6T9
You are a highly adaptable, collaborative and creative person who loves to influence others through persuasive and relational writing. You have a passion for writing and creative development for a multitude of outputs.
You will support the Communications department with your various skills sets from organization, general writing support, writing through research and story gathering, direct mail writing, project proposals, foundation submissions, writing templates and impact reports. Your passion for writing includes a desire to grow in a variety of writing styles including fundraising, story reporting, impact writing, blogs, social media and ghost writing. You are a ‘hands on and dig in’ kind of a person who loves new challenges and chases opportunities to grow your skill set.
A critical thinker and problem solver, you offer advice and assistance in speeding up certain processes to aid in the timely completion of projects.
The Gideons International In Canada (TGIC) is an organization of vibrant, passionate men and women who seek to encourage and equip believers and churches to reach their communities and the world with the gospel through the sharing of God’s Word. Established in 1911, the 109-year old ministry has rapidly transformed itself for growth and global impact.
TGIC continues to create innovative ways of reaching more people with the gospel, using tools like the NewLife app (newlife.bible), creating Scripture magazines like Hope, Light and Redemption, and launching a youth arm called SendMe (sendme.ca). In August 2015, TGIC launched their international brand, ShareWord Global. ShareWord Global serves as the ministry’s international arm, extending the ministry’s passion to reach the lost all over the world.
Revenues: $10 Million
Reports to: Director of Communications
- Proposal & Template Writing
- Analyzes and understands the requirements for fundraising, proposal and development resources through communication with the development and subject manner experts.
- Manages fundraising and writing template deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, design, writing, editing, review and approval
- Analyze all communications to ensure brand accuracy, relevancy of past performance materials to current requirements.
- Writing support which includes a journalistic drive, an ability to reshape stories and write for varied audience types
- Work closely with story journalist and other Comms team members to develop open and consistent communication in story gathering and reporting
- Organizational Writing
- Provide writing for key organizational items including corporate brochures, materials and public facing copy when required
- Create and provide boilerplate copy for organizational needs, including copy for international work as required
- Applies learning and experience to continually improve and advance the organizations public profile in writing – in collaboration with other team writers
- Follows and tracks non profit marketing best practices to apply to Marketing projects
- Project Support, Design & Coordination
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite on Mac platforms (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Project brainstorming and planning, organizing project execution as required
- Working alongside graphic designer, consistently update and create proposals or brand related materials as needed.
- ‘Jack of all trades’ ability to jump into various roles as required by project to ensure department success
- Works well under pressure and meeting tight deadlines.
- Understand projects from a ‘big picture’ perspective, recognizing how creative writing impacts and influences the voice of the organization.
- Must possess adaptability and flexibility in a fast paced, creative environment.
- Post-secondary education in marketing, communications, journalism or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years direct work experience in a writing capacity.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with brand building and tone of voice.
- Exceptional command of the English language, including grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Experience scoping out stories and storytelling in print and online.
- Direct experience with graphic design, Web page, and other marketing-related software tools.
- Highly organized with strong multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Willingness to travel when required.
- Energetic, creative, self-motivated, resilient and results-oriented.
- Team player, excellent consensus building skills, with a high degree of motivation and desire to collaborate with others to build and maintain relationships on a winning team.
The Gideons International In Canada is an evangelical Christian ministry, dedicated to sharing the Word of God with the world. As a Christian evangelical ministry, candidates must be able to demonstrate a personal commitment to Jesus Christ, identify with our Statement of Faith and the mission of The Gideons. We sincerely thank all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
We offer a competitive compensation package and benefits.
Location: Guelph, ON
How to Apply
If you are applying, please first complete the following online Survey which is a standard part of our recruitment process: Survey
Posted Under: Marketing/Sales
Career ID: [ 8152 ]