Tyndale University is delighted to bring the sounds of Christmas into the comfort of your own home! Joining the Tyndale Community Choir, Singers and Band are popular guest artists Laila Biali and Robert Pilon. Join us for this free livestream event graciously sponsored by Lazboy Furniture Galleries.
Pastor of Missional Discipleship
Pastor of Missional Discipleship
Willowdale (Toronto), Ontario , M2N3G3
Spring Garden Church at the corner of Spring Garden and Kenneth Ave in Willowdale, a neighbourhood in the city of Toronto, Ontario.
A Pastor to bring leadership in the areas of missional engagement and deepening of community relationships. The position is full-time permanent.
Who We Are
We are a community that believes in a triune, humble, creative and relational God of grace who is our centre and who loves this broken world. Because of this, we seek to be a people of faith who grow as holistic followers of Jesus—disciples who love God, love each other and our neighbour, share God’s story, and show God’s care.
Within our current pastoral team, we have pastors and staff giving leadership to communal worship, communications, children, youth and young adult discipleship, and the overall leadership and upholding the shared core values of the community.
One of our core values is that we believe we are commissioned by Christ to participate in God’s mission to love the world, sent out in love meeting holistic needs of the local and global community. It is our desire to embody God’s care for our neighbours and creation through creative, adventurous, and God-led ingenuity in a way that aligns with who we are as a particular people in a particular time and space.
Another of our core values is we believe that God calls us to come together as a diverse community of believers, and therefore we want to walk together, supporting one another physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We know that God uses community to deepen and mature our faith as, led by God’s Spirit, we support and encourage one another in embracing an intimate and transformational relationship with Jesus.
Bringing humble and creative leadership to deepening the personal and communal embodiment of these values is where we see the important place of the Pastor of Missional Discipleship on our pastoral team.
We are looking for a Pastor with the following Relational Competencies:
- Humility and passion from a growing and transformative relationship with Jesus
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to respond in a friendly manner to a wide diversity of personalities
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Pastoral Team
- Engaging in team conversation about specific projects and issues
- Open to building healthy relationships with team members as laid out in the Pastoral Team Agreement (available on request)
- Ability to work enthusiastically in the culture of SGC as reflected in our Statement of Values (available on request)
- Willingness to regularly participate in SGC worship as a part of the community
We are looking for a pastor with the following Technical Capacities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Ability to build and lead teams, working alongside others as a team player
- Proactive thinking and planning on a yearly scope
- Ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to recruit, equip and support ministry partners
- Competency in event planning
- Awareness of current realities of poverty, marginalization, systemic oppression whether along socio-economic and ethnic lines, etc.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (including, but not limited to)
Missional Engagement: Showing God’s Care and Sharing God’s Story (approx 60%)
It is important to us in Spring Garden that discipleship is understood as holistic—an integrated rhythm of loving God, loving each other, sharing God’s story and showing God’s care that engages the whole of our humanity. Mission—loving our neighbour and creation through showing God’s care and sharing God’s story—is an intrinsic part of our approach to discipleship that weaves its way through the fabric of our church family. Or at least it is in an “now but not yet” sort of way. Like all areas of discipleship, we want to grow in this.
We are looking for a Pastor who will help us in this, not by coming in with pre-packaged ideas, but by taking the time to get to know us, our neighbours, and our city. Taking the time to listen, learn, love, and to discern with us how God is calling us as a particular community in a particular time and place to meet the holistic needs of our local and global neighbours. And then humbly helping and working alongside us as individuals and a community to step out and step up into what and who God has placed before us.
Responsibilities in this area of ministry include:
- Discerning alignment between local and global holistic needs and the ethos, values and people of the Spring Garden community; implementing ways of meeting these needs through partnerships with existing ministries/organizations and creative initiatives.
- Inspiring and equipping members of the community in missional engagement (e.g. helping people develop in passion and tools for loving their immediate neighbours)
- Networking with current ministries, organizations, and groups engaged in community development in Willowdale to build relationships and awareness of needs and activity in the neighbourhood.
- Working with the Pastoral team and other ministry teams.
- Providing leadership to the Mission Action Team (MAT) in the following areas:
- Building and working with Spring Garden Based Initiatives Team (aka Initiatives Team), giving leadership to discernment and facilitation of initiatives that engage the Spring Garden community in missional engagement.
- Working with the Lead Team primarily in setting and monitoring the Mission Budget
- Overseeing and supporting the team of people caring for vocational missionaries (Vocational Missionary Care Team)
Deepening Community Relationships (approx 40%)
Spring Garden deeply values the relational nature of faith and ministry. We believe that nurturing healthy relationships with one another is an intrinsic part of integrated discipleship.
We are looking for a pastor who can help us to grow in our relationships with one another by assisting and advancing opportunities for deepening communal relationships and integrated discipleship. As a community that values unity in diversity, whether along social, economic, theological, cultural, or ethnic lines, we are looking for a pastor who can also help us continue to grow in being a safe and welcoming community for people regardless of who they are or where they come from.
Responsibilities in this area of ministry include:
- Providing leadership in overseeing small group ministries through:
- Encouraging, inspiring, equipping and supporting life groups
- Being a person of contact and support for other small groups (e.g. Sunday morning bible study and mid-week bible study and support groups)
- Bringing leadership to systems of and engagement in Pastoral Care
- working with the Elders for visitations
- equipping volunteers for pastoral care (elders, life group leaders, etc.)
- Liaising with the Elders who facilitate the Sunday Morning prayer team
- Overseeing Sunday Morning Hospitality
- Administrating the greeting, ushering, Welcome desk (and during COVID, screening) schedule
- Equipping and inspiring ministry partners involved in Sunday morning hospitality in being a welcoming and safe presence Sunday mornings.
- Overseeing connection pathways for those who are seeking a deeper sense and experience of community and belonging.
- Our desire is to find inviting ways of helping newcomers and those ‘on the edges’ who want to integrate deeper into community
- We see this piece as part of but not limited to small group ministry and Sunday Morning Hospitality
- Working alongside the Pastoral Team and the Community Life Deacon in planning and implementing congregational events designed for building community as part of integrated discipleship
- For example, the Pastoral team and Community Life Deacon work together in implementing an annual Bike Blessing which integrates building a sense of community and developing relationships through eating together, while also weaving together creation care and worship.
- M. Div or equivalent required
- Previous ministry experience preferred
Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Garden Church is part of the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 8261 ]