Port Sydney, Ontario , P0B 1L0
- Job Title: Dietary Specialist
- Reports To: Food Service Manager
- Position Period: May 1 - August 31, 2021 (dates are flexible)
- Position Location: Huntsville, Ontario
- Honorarium: $250/week
Camp Mini-Yo-We is a Christian summer camp and year-round retreat centre with a mission to develop tomorrow’s leaders through life-changing adventures in God’s creation. As part of the Food Service Team, your primary goal will be to provide a great food service experience for campers, staff and guest groups. In May and June you would help prepare meals for our staff and guest groups while familiarizing yourself with our kitchens, systems, recipes and approach to special diets and allergies. In July and August we run four kitchens to support approximately 400-500 people (campers, staff and volunteers) each week. Your primary responsibility during this period is to help serve individuals with special dietary needs (some weeks we have up to 60 people with special diets). This involves communicating with the parents of campers, meal planning and then preparing and delivering meals at set times throughout the day. You will also be required to assist our adult volunteers in the kitchens preparing the regular meals for guests without dietary needs. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and expand your skills in nutrition services and cooking. It is a lot of work, but it is very rewarding and you get to be part of an amazing team of staff members that love Camp and enjoy serving together. You will also have opportunities to enjoy Muskoka and our facility during your time off.
- Preparing Meals – Working in one of our four kitchens preparing meals for both individuals with special diets as well as other guests.
- Meal Planning & Communication – Contact guests or parents of campers over to discuss their child’s dietary needs. Developing specialized meal plans for individuals.
- Supporting Adult Volunteers – We have new volunteers each week in our kitchens helping prepare food. You will help provide consistency within the kitchens, supporting our staff and volunteers as they prepare meals each week.
- Cleaning – Help to keep kitchens clean, open them for the season, etc.
- Competent in understanding the general functioning and safety standards of a commercial kitchen. Having knowledge regarding the preparation of food for individuals who are gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian and vegan, and more.
- Quick learner who is eager to develop new skills and grow as an individual.
- Self-motivated as seen in taking initiative to being responsible for assigned tasks.
- Well organized as seen in planning ahead, anticipating needs and prioritizing tasks
- Mature and trustworthy; able to understand the risks associated with allergies and special diets and work to serve the needs of our guests.
- Team player who can work well with others as well as help provide direction and instruction when necessary.
- Have a servant attitude, being both helpful to all and committed to “community”; the person in this role must be flexible and willing to pitch in and assist as part of the team.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills with parents/guardians, staff and guests.
- Be a teachable person of integrity.
- Food Service Manager and Food Service Assistant
- Adult Volunteers
- Parents, Campers, Seasonal Staff and Guests
Conditions of Work and Benefits:
- You will be provided an honorarium of $250/week, a shared accommodation on site as well as all your meals while employed.
- You will be provided 1 day off a week while employed.
- Must understand that Camp Mini-Yo-We is a Christian environment. Agreed to uphold the General Staff Guidelines as published in the Staff Manual.
- Have the physical strength to spend extended time serving in the kitchens. Have the ability to stoop, bend and crouch.
- Be in the process of completing a degree related to food service, nutrition or diet.
- Food Handlers Certificate is required
- Having a G2 or G level driver’s license is desirable
Find Out More & Apply:
To find out more, or express interest in the position, please contact Spencer Tamming the Shared Services Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 705-385-2629.
You can apply online at www.campmyw.com/staff-application.
Posted Under: Camps
Career ID: [ 8402 ]