Children Assistant Pastor
Children Assistant Pastor
Irvine, Outside Canada/International , 92620
The Children Assistant Pastor will provide pastoral leadership to develop and shepherd a comprehensive Children Ministry that will train up disciples of Christ, integrate the children into the overall Church body, and assist parents to be the primarily disciplers of their children.
The Children Assistant Pastor is responsible to the Senior Pastor, who will supervise, evaluate and provide a report of evaluation to the Deacon Body and the Personnel Committee. The Children Assistant Pastor will also work with the entire pastoral staff to align the Children Ministry with all the other ministries of the Church, and, in all Church matters, to represent the interests of children and their families.
- Shall be a Biblically-based, spirit-filled Christian, ascribing to the vision and values of Chinese Baptist Church of Central Orange County. Theological position is consistent with the doctrinal statement of CBCCOC and Southern Baptist’s “The Baptist Faith and Message.”
- Shall have completed seminary training with a Master’s of Divinity Degree at an accredited seminary, or equivalent (e.g., a Master’s Degree in Christian Education with three years’ experience in pastoral ministry).
- Shall have at least three years experience working with children in a lay or ministerial role at a church in North America.
- Shall maintain healthy family relationships. If married, spouse and/or children are supportive of the pastor’s ministry.
- Shall be able to work within a multi-language, multi-cultural, and multi-congregational environment. Experience with and understanding of Chinese culture is required. Is able to give counsel or to direct to others more qualified to provide counsel.
Currently, legally able to reside and work in the USA.
Directly or by delegated oversight, equip and assist Children Ministry volunteers in developing, planning, conducting, evolving, and evaluating the following children ministries at CBCCOC:
- Early Childhood Ministry: Sunday School and Worship Service
- Elementary: Sunday School, Worship Service, Church Training (e.g. Bible Drill, Discipleship), Fellowships (e.g. Awana and J12)
- Children Ministry Special Events: Special events for children, such as winter Harvest Festival outreach, summer outreach classes, and summer VBS outreach.
- Children Ministry Special Programs: Special programs for children that parallel the Church’s special programs, such as: Church Anniversary Celebration, Good Friday, Easter, Church Retreat, and programs designed specifically for children and their Families.
- Ministry Vision/Strategy: Develop and implement Ministry vision and strategy. Work with the Senior Pastor to set Children Ministry’s vision and goals, in alignment with the Church’s vision, values, and goals.
- Curriculum: Obtain, develop, or review all curricula used in Children Ministry, particularly in the areas of Bible teaching, worship, discipleship, service, fellowship, and personal evangelism.
- Staffing: Recruit, train, coordinate, and oversee the leadership team and workers in Children Ministry. Oversee the Early Childhood Ministry Committee. Manage, either directly or through the ECMC, the paid ECM staff.
- Meetings: Represent children and parents at weekly pastoral staff meetings, weekly prayer meetings, monthly business meetings, Church Council and Fellowship Leaders meetings.
- Visitation: Visit with the children and their families, especially in times of crises, evangelistic opportunities, or to follow up with new visitors. Maintain contact with “deacon family” list.
- Budget: By participating in the Church’s budget planning process, prepare and administrate the Children Ministry budget for current and upcoming years (the budget includes expenses for the ECM and Elementary Departments as well as various Children Ministry programs). Oversee any fund-raising events related to Children Ministry.
- Child Safety Policy: Implement and manage a Child Safety policy that will define appropriate guidelines for Children Ministry programs and for workers that serve in Children Ministry, to ensure the safety and security of the children and to protect our Church.
- Office Hours: Be available to the children and parents by maintaining office hours at Church during the week.
- Personal Growth: Continue to grow and develop with a teachable spirit through attending conferences, seminars, classes, or through personal study. Keep abreast of children’s trends and resources in order to serve as an advisor to the Church on child development and preteen or early adolescence development.
Responsibilities to Children
- Assist children to develop a personal relationship with Jesus, leading to experiential knowledge of God (Psalm 78:3-4) and to help them grow in “wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man” (Luke 2:52).
- Teach the Bible in developmentally appropriate ways so that our children will develop a solid Biblical foundation and worldview, with the goal of firmly grounding them in the truth so that they will pass on their faith to the next generation (Psalm 78:6)
- Develop strategy to assist children in living their lives aligned with the five purposes of leading a life of worship, service, evangelism, discipleship, and in fellowship.
- Assist the older elementary children to discover their gifting and place within the Church, and give opportunities for them to practice and begin to discover their calling to serve within the larger Church body.
- Be a visible support to children and their parents whenever possible and also support them in prayer.
- Form lasting appropriate relationships with the children.
Responsibilities to Parents
- Partner with parents and the Church to support and equip parents in fulfilling their role as the primary spiritual leader and teacher of their children.
- Encourage and support parents in their parenting responsibilities by giving counsel when able or by directing them, when necessary, to more qualified advisors.
- Provide training and instruction toward addressing parenting issues and for the physical and spiritual growth of children.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Children's Ministries
Career ID: [ 8440 ]