Worship Pastor (and Music Director)
Worship Pastor (and Music Director)
Toronto, Ontario , M5S2H4
- Full-time permanent position (40 hours per week)
- Sunday-Thursday with some flexibility; some evening and weekend commitments
- Compensation: $55,000-60,000 per year, plus full benefits (including extended health, dental, vision, pension & 4 weeks of vacation)
- Reports to (currently): Associate Minister, Nick Renaud
- Optional Direct Report: one part-time support staff role (choir director or admin assistant)
- Start date: April 1 - August 1, 2021
About Knox Presbyterian Church
Knox Church is an urban, evangelical and Reformed community with an emphasis on expository preaching, local and global missions, and intercessory prayer. Located conveniently next to the University of Toronto’s downtown campus, Knox has a vision of ‘Following Jesus, Loving the City, Serving the World’. The congregation is multicultural and multi-ethnic - drawing from across the Greater Toronto Area - and is a member of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
Worship at Knox is rooted in the Reformed tradition while finding contemporary expressions, both musically and liturgically, fitting our unique context. We seek to engage and express the broad range of cultures, languages, generations and traditions represented in our congregation and local area. This deepens our discipleship and enlivens our witness, connecting us to the global and historic church, and testifying to the expansive, barrier-breaking family of God described in Scripture. While both our 11:00 AM and 4:30 PM services embody this vision, they have distinct worship expressions and communities. Our morning service is more cross-generational and family-friendly, involving a small choir most weeks, as well as a youth band and organist on a regular basis. Our afternoon service offers younger and more transitory urban students and professionals a community to be “grounded in the love of God” (Eph. 3:17) through weekly communion, contemplation through the arts, and a more mellow, casual style.
This is a key strategic leader overseeing the worship ministries in concert with ministers, other staff, volunteers, and Elders. The Worship Pastor is a team-oriented musician who upholds and implements Knox’s vision for worship. They help create meaningful worship services that involve multiple and/or blended worship cultures and traditions and seek to reflect our diverse city and connect many different people with Jesus. This person should be passionate about multi-ethnic and multi-generational musical worship, the arts, discipleship, equipping leaders, and providing effective resources for a multi-dimensional congregation.
- In conjunction with the Sr. Minister and Elders, to lead the implementation, growth and maintenance of a creative, vibrant, diverse, accessible and engaged worship culture.
- To recruit, equip, coordinate and shepherd those involved in worship ministries, and provide mentorship and development for worship leaders and participants of all ages.
- To plan and oversee the advancement of dynamic, high-quality, biblical worship across all services that connect worshippers to the reality of God.
- Leadership Development: Identify, train and mentor members of our Worship Leader Team towards independent leading, along with the encouragement and development of musicians and worship enablers of various skill levels in the church; invite and encourage congregational gifts for a wide and excellent worship participation.
- Organization and Coordination: Oversee the worship planning process for all services (weekly, special occasion and long-term), including the scheduling of worship personnel, selections from a broad repertoire (online Planning Center and choral library), and technical production for services; prepare and organize rehearsals for choir and worship teams (hopefully, with the support of either a choir director or admin coordinator); administer any licenses and subscriptions in line with budget.
- Team-Building and Collaboration: Form fully equipped worship teams with the mutual support of a dedicated Worship Leaders Team, as well as supervise involvement of the choir, choir leads, 4:30 band leader, support musicians, children/youth, and any other musical or arts participation in worship; work with volunteer leaders to oversee AV team and scripture reader team; provide pastoral leadership and mentorship to Worship Leaders Team, including planning and leading monthly meetings.
- Communication: Regularly communicate our worship vision and strategy in a clear and compelling manner to worship volunteers and congregation; make opportunities for individuals to join in service in the worship ministry; model the role of a worshipper and worship leader—to our congregation and worship teams--through leading, co-leading and supporting regularly; communicate regularly with volunteers, staff and other Knox ministries to increase accessibility of worship and to fully engage our church family.
- Creative Arts: Articulate a practical theology of the arts; seek out and plan opportunities for inclusion and integration of various art forms, expressions and languages; encourage the creation of original works and arrangements by Knox’s congregants; function as a project manager/artistic director for creative projects such as seasonal services and special events.
- Education & Vision-Casting: Serve as a central voice for a robust theology and biblical practice of multicultural worship at Knox, educating and helping our congregation understand the “why” behind everything that we do in the worship of our triune God.
- Other: participate in weekly and monthly staff meetings and regular one-on-one meetings with the Associate or Senior Minister, participating as a collaborative member of an engaged pastoral team in leading the Knox congregation; ensure Knox’s AV and sound equipment, as well as church instruments (i.e. organ, pianos) are well-organized and kept in good condition; identify and address AV and accessibility needs such that the entire congregation may participate in worship.
- A mature Christian with a servant heart who evidences a close relationship with, and commitment to, Christ through prayer and reliance on His Word in all aspects of life; likewise helps seekers and Christ‐followers connect with God through musical worship
- Has a rich biblical understanding of worship and a gospel-oriented love of urban Canada
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in Music, Theology or related field
- Strong leadership abilities with a track record of developing effective teams/musicians
- Significant experience (2-5 years) leading diverse worship teams and/or ministries comprised of various generational and cultural groups
- Demonstrated ability as an instrumentalist (piano preferred) and vocalist; producer, conductor or arranger abilities are assets
- Knowledge of a wide range of Christian repertoire, including hymns and modern genres
- Ability to work independently, multi‐task and remain resilient in a fluid environment
- Strong project management and computer proficiency (databases, apps, file transfers)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a proficiency in English
- A keen eye for detail, resourcefulness, artistic talent
- Outgoing, approachable, trustworthy, ethical
- Must be a Canadian/dual citizen or have Permanent Residency
Knox Presbyterian Church does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, disability, gender, or age. Disability accommodations are available on request for all aspects of the selection process.
To apply: Please send us your resume and cover letter by March 15, 2021 at https://knoxtoronto.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=25.
If you are selected to move forward, we will be requesting a sample of your work - a piece of liturgy, poem or song you have written, or a video of you leading worship.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 8475 ]