Toronto, Ontario , M2N 3B6
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Direct Reports: Executive Team members - (5): Congregational Life Pastor; Global Missions Pastor; Worship Arts Pastor; Senior Director Finance & Operations; Senior Director, Media & Communications
Status: Full time, Executive level
The Peoples Church is passionate about sharing the life changing message of Jesus both here in Toronto, and around the world. Our worship is gospel-centered and globally informed and reflects our diverse make up with over 120 different nationalities represented. We are home to more than 3,000 members from a wide variety of backgrounds, generations, and perspectives, and find our unity in Jesus Christ. We want all people to experience Christ, embrace community, and engage globally. Due to Covid-19 we currently gather online, and through our television broadcast, Living Truth. Our ministry is supported by a staff team of 40 who are inspired by our mission – Growing the body of Christ for God’s global mission.
We are seeking a spiritually gifted leader who is a strong decision-maker, creative thinker and change-agent that has a proven ability to motivate teams through collaboration, inclusivity and effective communications. An individual with a demonstrated ability to turn ‘vision into action’ and experience building trust and leading leaders. One whose relationship with Christ is a central priority to their life, and it is evident in how they lead and interact with others.
Reporting to the Lead Pastor, the Executive Pastor (EP) is responsible for steering collaboration and giving oversight to the various ministries and operations of the church. The EP will design and plan strategic goals while partnering with the Lead Pastor and collaborating with their direct reports (Executive Team members) to ensure alignment and success in achieving the mission and vision.
The EP will oversee the implementation of the vision with a strong sense of the temperature of the congregation and the pace at which changes need to take place. This will require (a) ongoing, day-to-day management of the church ministry and internal processes, (b) an ability to operationalize and motivate others to participate in our mission, vision and core values, and (c) empowering direct reports (Executive Team members) to lead with compassion while nurturing accountability.
- Partner with the Lead Pastor and collaborating with the Executive Team members in the accomplishment of the church’s mission, vision and core values
- Regularly meet with and develop the Executive Team by equipping, training and empowering them to fulfill their responsibilities
- Foster and develop an environment of accountability throughout the ministry by implementing appropriate processes like annual goal setting, ongoing review of goals achievement and recognition
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process including the evaluation of ministry performance, review of mission, vision, and core values; development of policies and establishment of three-to-five-year goals
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures (KPMs) that provide the Board of Directors, Lead Pastor and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church
- Oversee succession planning process and create a culture which encourages development opportunities for all
- Develop new strategies for creating and improving ministry processes and operational procedures
- Responsible and oversee internal correspondence and updates to staff to ensure consistency and inclusivity
- Implement and delegate responsibilities to ensure effectiveness in operations and ministry
- Regularly review and ensure compliance to regulatory obligations and internal policies and procedures
- Attend and present at Board of Directors meetings
- Participate in worship services by hosting and making announcements; preaching if within gifting
- Other duties as assigned
The Executive Pastor may delegate duties but cannot delegate the responsibility for the effectiveness of the operation of The Peoples Church.
- Must understand and support The Peoples Church’s Statement of Faith and mission, vision and core values
- Is a mature follower in Jesus Christ
- 10+ years of demonstrated leadership, strategic planning and people development experience
- A relevant university degree or college diploma preferred, theological designation an asset
- Must have the ability to delegate effectively
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written; strong public speaking and be comfortable on camera
- Committed to serving others, supporting the staff and cultivating team ministry
- Ability to equip, train and empower
- Understands budgets and can plan and maintain department finances
- Possesses the ability to mentor people in spiritual life and personal maturity
- Must possess negotiating skills, ability to resolve issues, build consensus, and proven ability to mediate conflict
- Occasional travel globally
- Must attend The Peoples Church
- Vulnerable Sector clearance required
- Support and understand Statement of Faith and mission, vision and core values
Qualified applicants are invited to forward their résumés and reference #21-EPMAR in the cover letter to:
The Peoples Church
374 Sheppard Avenue East
Toronto, ON, M2N 3B6
Fax: (416) 222 3917
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Peoples Church is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our HR Director of the accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 8609 ]