SIM is a 128-year-old catalyst for global missions that goes above in prayer and beyond in care to bring good news to hard places because there are people living and dying without the gospel. The vision of SIM is to see a witness to Christ’s love where He is least known, disciples of Jesus expressing God’s love in their communities, and Christ-centered churches among all peoples. SIM Canada is part of an international mission organization with more than 4,000 ministry workers, serving in more than 70 countries, from over 60 different diverse nationalities. We are both a sending and receiving agency, sending people from Canada, receiving people to Canada, and serving in Canada alongside the church. We are looking for people who love Jesus and who are willing to use their skills on one of our ministry teams worldwide.
The primary purpose of this role is to contribute to the accounting/financial activities of SIM Canada and to overall support and enhance the functioning of the Finance Department. This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Prepare monthly interoffice statements and a variety of financial reports
- Accrue liabilities and expense prepaid costs
- Transfer donations from Raiser’s Edge to Financial Edge
- Reconcile bank and clearing accounts and accounts receivable
- Participate in internal and external audits
- Provides financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data
- Prepares ad hoc reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending procedures
- Assist other staff members by coordinating activities and answering questions
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information
- Secures financial information by completing database backups
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls
- Frequent communication via phone, email, & in-person with missionaries, staff, & other SIM offices
- Liaises with (but not limited to): CFO, other SIM offices globally, Supporters/Partners Relation Data Processors, missionaries globally and locally, internal and external stakeholders
Qualifications & Competencies
- Accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, CGA or equivalent or working towards a designation is preferred)
- 5+ years experience in accounting
- An asset would be to have a familiarity with a mission-based organization and or with significant experience in the charitable sector
- Advanced computer skills with good knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge and or other accounting software.
- Knowledge and experience in Payroll Accounting would be a great asset to have for this position
All Members of the National Office are expected to:
- Attend Daily Prayer Chapels (8:30 AM – 9:00 AM)
- Participate in staff Committees as needed
Work Location & Work Hours
- SIM Canada National Office - 10 Huntingdale Blvd, Scarborough, ON, M1W 2S5
- Full-time position, working 5 days a week, 7.5 hours a day, (8:30 AM – 4:45 PM).
Contact HR at Canada.Info@sim.org
SIM Mission Statement
Convinced that no one should live and die without hearing God's good news, we believe that He has called us to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in communities where he is least known.
Therefore, compelled by God's great love and empowered by the Holy Spirit…
- We cross barriers to proclaim the crucified and risen Christ, expressing His love and compassion among those who live and die without Him,
- We make disciples who will trust and obey Jesus, and become part of Christ-centered churches,
- We work together with churches to fulfill God's mission across cultures locally and globally,
- We facilitate the participation in cross-cultural ministry of those whom God is calling.
SIM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 8652 ]