Chief Ministry Officer
Chief Ministry Officer
Toronto, Ontario , M5S 2H1
Reporting to the CEO, and working collaboratively with the senior leadership team and board, the Chief of Ministry is a key member of a transformational, integrated, growth focused senior leadership team that directly impacts organizational success by developing and leading transformational, high quality ministry programs with excellence and implementing new structures and program inputs that directly impact the diverse constituencies served by TSM, including: Women and Family Ministries (Food Bank, Clothing, Prayer Groups, Camps); Men’s Ministries (Ministry & Worship, Food, Drop-In, Recreation, Visitation, Outreach, plus a range of other supports and services); Childcare Centre; Camp Ministries; Child and Youth Programs (Summer camps and After School Programs); Housing Recovery; Life Skills; Advocacy; Client Retreats and Volunteer Management.
The Scott Mission is a Christian ministry of mercy and love. It aims to meet the needs of people with love and compassion and seek to bring spiritual, physical, and emotional wholeness to their lives. Our Vision Prayer is Poverty in full retreat, flourishing for all, in Toronto and beyond.
The Scott Mission was founded in 1941 by Rev. Morris and Mrs. Annie Zeidman as a non-denominational Christian organization responding to the needs of the poor, homeless, abandoned and vulnerable of all ages. Based in Toronto, the Mission offers practical, emotional and spiritual support to thousands of people every year.
While religious belief and practice are never conditions for receiving help and assistance, and everyone is welcome regardless of faith background, The Scott Mission is committed to the spiritual well-being of all people through the life and witness of Jesus Christ. Their hope is for everyone to have a personal relationship with Jesus, and to express this relationship in a life of integrity and in acts of compassion toward others.
The Mission is privately funded and employs over 100 dedicated staff at 502 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, its Family Centre in East York, the Collingwood Retreat Centre and its Summer Camp in Caledon.
Building on the vision of its founders, The Scott Mission has remained Christ-centred in all its programs and services. It was Morris and Annie Zeidman’s belief that the hunger of the soul needed to be addressed as well as the hunger of the physical body.
Position Responsibilities Include
- The Chief of Ministry demonstrates broad and deep experience as a C-Suite Leader enabling him/her to proactively lead with vision to transform TSM strategy at the highest level of the organization, to lead and model a culture of transformation, growth and agility, and to effectively execute programs through leadership of multiple ministry and programs managers
- Champion development of Ministry talent to build capability for transformational impact
- Effectively lead and manage an annual budget that demonstrates respectful and prudent stewardship of the resources entrusted to us.
Ministry/Program Strategy and Quality
- Develops and leads strategic plans, operational structures, resourcing requirements and quality standards that identify, develop and support new ministry opportunities, and drive innovation and quality in the content and delivery of ministries and programs to position TSM as a leader in transformational ministry and program delivery and reflect TSM’s vision, mission and commitment to serving with excellence
- Review current ministry and program offerings to audit quality and effectiveness and identify gaps and opportunities to increase excellence and transformational outcomes
- Works in close collaboration with the Chief of Development to ensure fundraising activities reflect ministry and program objectives and outcomes, as well as with the Chief of Transformation/COO to ensure properties are pro-actively managed to support ministry and program requirements and meet health, safety and accessibility standards for clients, staff and volunteers
- Walk alongside and engage with individual and client communities to understand their unique realities and invite their partnership in developing programs that meet immediate needs and support long-term, sustainable transformation
- Understand the risks and spiritual intersections involved in ministry programs to vulnerable persons delivered across multiple program offerings and properties
- Ensure that ministry and program decisions are informed and guided by the use of reliable, evidence-based data.
Ministry/Program Staff and Volunteer Leadership
- Provide leadership direction and support that ignites the passion of staff teams and volunteers to deliver ministry and programs to achieve outcomes and quality standards
- Builds the capacity of ministry and program leaders to support staff and volunteer teams to optimize their performance and increase the value and program experience of clients.
- A committed Christian with a demonstrated commitment to TSM Statement of Faith
- Compliance with TSM policies and practices
- Other responsibilities as required.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
Education: Master’s of Divinity/Theology; MBA; Degree or Credentials in Executive Leadership; Graduate in Social Work.
Professional Certifications: A professional designation in Communications or Public Relations would be an asset.
Minimum number of year’s related experience required to competently perform the work: Minimum 8 years of experience in a ministry and program leadership role serving diverse and vulnerable urban populations, including participation on a senior leadership or executive team in a complex and demanding matrix organization.
Knowledge and Skills
- The Chief of Ministry will bring broad and deep experience as a C-Suite Leader enabling him/her to proactively to lead with vision to transform TSM strategy at the highest level of the organization, to lead and model a culture of transformation, growth and agility, and to effectively execute programs through leadership of multiple ministry and programs managers
- A committed and passionate Christian leader who has a heart to serve the marginalized and is able to translate the Gospel into actions and outcomes
- Results oriented and solutions focused, with evidence of having worked as a true strategy leader, transformational partner, C-Level Executive Team and Board
- Successful leader and subject matter expert in complex and diverse ministry and program strategy, delivery models, structures, and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead an integrated ministry and program infrastructure to deliver multiple programs across multiple service and locations with excellence
- Proven experience working with people in poverty and other vulnerable urban populations, understanding their complex needs, demonstrating an understanding of client challenges, ensuring the safety and dignity of all clients served, and measuring meaningful outcomes of programs and services
- Excellent verbal and written communicator who is able to adjust messaging to engage and connect a variety of audiences including diverse client constituencies, staff and stakeholders
- Experience and ability to communicate effectively and be an influencer with media outlets and government bodies
- Proven ability to lead engaged, committed, and high performing teams including team development and performance optimization.
- Membership in a Christian church, a clear commitment to live out your faith, and agreement with the Statement of Faith of The Scott Mission.
- Commitment to providing servant-leadership nourishing a truthful, forgiving, approachable, joyful, and healthy environment.
This search is being conducted on behalf of The Scott Mission by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest by email, in confidence, prior to May 3, 2021.
To submit your application please visit and apply to Job ID 162.
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents. Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the position, please contact Janice Wooster at email@example.com or 416.388.4049/1.866.647.5149. Priority will be given to early applicants. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this posting – we’d be pleased to connect with them.
Posted Under: Executive
Career ID: [ 8718 ]