Registered Practical Nurse (Woodstock)
Registered Practical Nurse (Woodstock)
Hamilton, Ontario , L8K 1C3
Full Time – Woodstock, ON
Closing Date for Applications: April 21, 2021
Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness and belonging.
Reporting to the Program Manager and Program Supervisor and working in collaboration with the nursing team, the RPN assists in coordinating and delivering mental health and health services to tenants. The RPN participates as a member of an interdisciplinary team to provide treatment, rehabilitation, and support for individuals living in supportive housing. The RPN will deliver services within their full scope of practice with appropriate supervision.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week. Flexibility is required to meet program needs, including evening and weekend hours. Participation in the on-call schedule is required.
General Job Summary
- Working in collaboration with the inter-disciplinary teams to provide direct and indirect support to individuals.
- Providing direct, non-urgent care to individuals within the program.
- Completing health assessments, mental health and addictions assessments.
- Helping individuals connect to community resources and supports.
- Facilitate access to primary care.
- Supporting individuals to achieve their goals while encouraging independence and recovery.
- Maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
- Supporting tenants in activities related to housing stability.
- Nursing duties
Directly Supporting Individuals
- Provide direct nursing care to tenants.
- Develop and monitor plans of care in collaboration with a team.
- Provide direct nursing services as required within scope of practice.
- Provide health assessments, mental health and addictions assessments in collaboration with the RN.
- Monitor tenant health and engage additional services as required.
- Conduct assessments and ensure consistent follow up with addictions treatment and recovery plans.
- Health teaching on topics including but not limited to medications, immunization, chronic disease management, etc. Assist in motivating individuals to learn new behaviours and develop coping skills.
- Support tenants’ participation in cultural, spiritual, recreational, leisure, educational, and social activities.
- Regular monitoring of tenants within scope of practice and evaluate the effectiveness of clients’ self-care plans through regular follow up visits with tenants.
- Collaborate with the tenant’s primary health provider and provide suggestions with regards to any required changes in client's treatment profile.
- As a representative of a faith-based organization, recognize and promote the role of spirituality and provide support and guidance as required.
Health, Welfare and Safety Practices
- Adhere to health and safety standards.
- Complete required safety checks and inspections as assigned.
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up to date medical records and communicating with the client’s primary care provider and other service providers as required
- Complete required reports in a timely manner in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Ensure information about tenant interactions are entered into the data system as required.
Participation and Commitment to the Team
- Supports RN staff and coordinates activities with all housing support staff.
- Attend and actively participate in team meetings and other agency meetings as required.
- Maintain positive written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrate positive relationships within the Indwell team.
- Promote and demonstrate the vision, mission and values of Indwell within the workplace and the community.
- Assist in the orientation and support of staff, students and volunteers.
- Attend and participate in all required training.
- Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Evidence of appropriate insurance as stipulated by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Committed to upholding and modeling the standards set out in the organization’s Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, Code of Conduct and other operating standards and policies.
- Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs.
- Ability to demonstrate warmth, sensitivity, and a caring attitude.
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative.
- Ability to problem solve and to handle crises with clear rational thinking.
- Ability to maintain excellent interpersonal relationships.
- A valid “G” class driver’s license.
Minimum BScN. Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing program, and experience in community nursing or mental health services.
Please apply online with cover letter and resume. We thank all applicants; however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Its supports and services are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell engages with diverse communities: we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 8727 ]