Join us on May 24, 2022, for our annual Preaching Conference. Keynote Speaker: Dr. Mary Hulst. Theme: Preaching with Millennials and Gen Z in Mind. Workshops by: Addison Aspilla, Jenn Aspilla, Ruth Anne Breithaupt, Marilyn Drapper, Sarah Han, Rebecca Idestrom, Lisa Oppitz, James Roberston, and Narry Santos. Visit the Preaching Conference event for more details on our speakers and workshops.
Mississauga, Ontario , L5K 1W1
Applications can be sent to: email@example.com
The Lead Pastor’s primary focus would be the fulfilment of the mission and the actualization of the vision of Sheridan Park Family Church (“SPFC”). The means and methods used to accomplish these tasks are within the Lead Pastor’s discretion as long as they are consistent with SPFC values. On top of this though is the need to understand the complexities of growing a church in the GTA - a multicultural hub, with vastly varying needs and understandings nestled within any single community.
(See Appendix A for a Summary of SPFC’s Mission, Vision and Values).
Education and Experience
The Lead Pastor must evidence a compelling sense of God’s calling to ministry and preferably would have at least five years of experience, ideally as a senior pastor, but not exclusive to that position. Being that SPFC is located in a large suburb of the GTA, it’s also ideal that the Lead Pastor have experience doing ministry in a multicultural and multigenerational location similar to ours.
Graduate-level education in theology, or its equivalent as recognized by the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, is strongly desired. Evidence of a strong grounding in Theology is what’s essential though.
Note: While candidates need not be from the Christian and Missionary Alliance Church, they must be willing to affirm the denomination’s articles of faith and governance, and if selected, the candidate will be required to pursue licensing with the CMA.
The role of Lead Pastor is a multi-faceted task, and requires skills in a variety of areas. That said, it’s recognized that a pastor faces limitations in time and abilities to do all tasks. As such, SPFC’s Lead Pastor should prioritize ministry tasks so as to fulfill the following roles. This list of roles is not meant to be prescriptive but rather to facilitate time-allocation decisions when the pastor is faced with competing ministry priorities.
While not intended to be exhaustive, the following list of tasks and responsibilities represent those which the Lead Pastor is expected to fulfill, either directly or through the equipping of others to carry them out. These tasks and responsibilities are listed with reference to the roles described above.
- Stimulates the on-going spiritual formation of the congregation through preaching, teaching, and shepherding.
- Displays genuine love and concern for the flock and ensures they receive spiritual care.
- Leads the church to be missionally engaged with both neighbour and the world.
- Provides Spirit-directed, visionary leadership for the entire church, with a goal of drawing, developing and deploying fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
- Casts vision, develops long-term strategies and evaluates the progress of the church toward accomplishing biblical purposes.
- Guides the ministry of the Board of Elders, equipping them for effective spiritual and administrative leadership of the church.
- Is responsible for the spiritual development and team building of the board.
- Is responsible to ensure effective, ongoing leadership development of new and existing leaders in the church.
- Assumes direct responsibility for, and authority over, all paid staff.
- Coaches, monitors and motivates staff members (both paid and volunteer) toward balanced growth in Christ-like character and ministry competency.
- Supports and develops ministry leaders and their ministries. This includes ensuring the development of specific ministry plans, evaluation of the ministries, and regular reporting on their progress to the board.
- Acts as the liaison between the Christian and Missionary Alliance (both national office and district) and the church and between the ministry leaders and the board.
- Participates in the formulating and monitoring of the annual operating budget of the church.
- Implements policy set by the board.
- Is responsible for the overall oversight and administration of the church.
Appendix A - Mission, Vision and Values
Our Mission - What are we intending to accomplish?
Connecting up to God, out to the world, and into the church.
Our Vision - Where do we agree we are going and what will that look like when we get there?
We see a loving, inviting, Spirit-led church bursting at the seams with people equipped to lead others to Christ.
Our Values - What is truly important to us in fulfilling our mission?
We are all about connecting:
We want to connect with our community in meaningful and relevant ways, helping them to feel welcome and accepted as part of our family at SPFC. We value being part of God’s family and helping everyone find their place in God's Family.
We are committed to equipping:
It’s a complicated world out there but we believe that the truth of the Bible, God’s word, is relevant to every area of our lives. So we value equipping our people for life and service in all areas of life.
We value being Spirit-transformed, Spirit-led and Spirit-empowered:
God has given us Himself in the person of His Holy Spirit so He can change us, direct us and enable us to do His mission and fulfill His vision within us.
We are committed to being missional:
The good news of the gospel is not something we will keep to ourselves. We want to share it with others both in spoken word and in practical ways. We value communicating Christ to our communities through acts of love, justice and compassion.
We value involvement and serving:
In order for us to function effectively, we desire everyone at SPFC to find their part. We are all “ministers”, serving in the power of the Spirit. There is some area of service for which people are uniquely gifted. When our people are not involved, we all miss out.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 10119 ]