Mississauga, Ontario , L5J2W5
Music provides a meaningful way for people to connect with God and is an integral part of the worship experience at Clarkson Road Presbyterian Church, Mississauga, Ontario. CRPC’s worship style is blended with traditional and contemporary music being included in the services. Congregational singing is an important aspect of worship, and we value the inclusion of special music that is presented by the choir, band and others to help us reflect and praise God. Working with the Minister, the Worship Leader, will help to create worship services that illuminate God’s love that is made known in Jesus.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability and experience proficiently playing various styles of music on piano, keyboard or organ.
- Ability and experience playing and singing selections that could be used for special music and/or postludes.
- Ability to develop, direct and motivate a volunteer church choir, and those who can provide solos, duets or ensembles as special music in worship, including visiting musicians.
- Ability and experience selecting both contemporary and traditional music for purchase and presentation, which is complementary to the style and theme of worship.
- Ability and experience using technology to record music for worship services.
- Ability to incorporate music from other genres (i.e., not necessarily sacred) to enhance worship.
- Ability to work as a team leader and team member.
- A degree or certificate in music from a recognized school or academy is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Presbyterian worship, especially as this is expressed through music would be a benefit.
- Provide piano, organ or keyboard musical accompaniment for weekly worship services and special worship services for Good Friday, Quiet Christmas, Easter Sunday, and others that arise. The worship service runs from the prelude through to the postlude.
- Ensure that each worship service contains special music which may come from the choir, Praise Band, other vocalists or instrumentalists or Worship Leader.
- Conduct choir rehearsals and prepare the choir for sharing at least one choral selection per month, and for special services. For special seasons like Advent, Christmas, Lent, and Easter more choral numbers will be required.
- Promote, encourage and support the use of a variety of instruments and music groups during services (e.g., vocal or instrumental soloists, ensembles, duets, trios, choirs) who may or may not be regular choir or congregation members.
- Support and/or participate with the Praise Band as they provide music for worship services.
- Meet regularly with the minister to co-ordinate and plan worship services. The Minister will select hymns and the Worship Leader will select anthems and other special music.
- Select and purchase choral, solo or small group music which is suited to the blended worship style of the congregation and the strengths of the choir and other singers.
- Prepare a music budget proposal annually and an annual report.
- Assist in reporting music usage to ensure compliance with copyright regulations.
- Have first right of refusal to play for weddings and funerals held at the church. The fees associated with this work will come from those involved rather than CRPC.
- Arrange for competent substitute music leaders for absences due to vacation, continuing education, leave of absence, illness.
- Inform Church Office Administrator when the piano(s) need to be tuned so arrangement can be made to have this work done.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Employment will run from early September to late June each year. The Worship Leader must be present for Advent, Christmas Eve, and Holy Week (Palm Sunday through to Easter)
- Remuneration will be commensurate with a part-time position based on qualifications and experience.
- Additional monies for each funeral and wedding service are to be paid by those requesting the service in accordance with a scale approved by Session. (Fee per funeral $175. Fees for wedding only $175 and wedding with rehearsal $225.)
- Participate in an annual meeting to review the past year, and plan for the coming year. This will act as a performance review and a time to review the role.
- Remuneration will be reviewed annually. Change to remuneration requires approval at the annual congregational meeting.
- Ability to comply with the Presbyterian Church in Canada’s Leading with Care Policy by providing an up-to-date police check with vulnerable sector screening.
- The Worship Leader reports to Session and is accountable on a day-to-day basis to the Minister.
Services (including music/performances) will be video recorded and live-streamed on platforms such as Facebook and YouTube to serve remote and home-bound members.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 11144 ]