Shelter Care Worker
Shelter Care Worker
North Bay, Ontario , P1B 1K1
Hope Awaits Ministries is a faith-based charitable mission called to proclaim and demonstrate the life-changing gospel of Jesus Christ through meeting the spiritual, physical and emotional needs of those who are homeless or in need of hope. While Hope Awaits offers housing and other programs that meet basic needs, our real purpose is to create a family atmosphere where homeless men can come to be loved, encouraged, healed, and restored – a safe place in which men can encounter Jesus Christ and be transformed.
Our Shelter Care Workers contribute daily to this purpose by being the physical demonstration of the hands and feet of Jesus to the men who come to Hope Awaits. Shelter Care Workers work first-hand with Hope Awaits’ clients to help them establish goals and work to achieve them; provide support and a listening ear; and walk alongside men on their road to restoration.
- Spiritual Development: seeking God’s direction for the ministry, clients, and programs. Overseeing the spiritual development of clients, including leading bible studies and daily devotionals. Ensuring that programs and practices align with Christian principles. Praying with and for clients, staff, and volunteers.
- Evangelism: sharing the Gospel message in both word and deed to clients with the clear aim of introducing them to Jesus.
- Program Delivery: ensuring the delivery and completion of day-to-day activities and programs. Implementing policies, procedures, and best practices to help Hope Awaits Ministries achieve its missional objectives.
- Client Management: overseeing, and supporting clients. Managing client matters such as intakes, client meetings, goal setting, referrals, corrective and/or disciplinary actions, and maintaining all records pertaining thereto.
- Safety: overseeing shelter activities, de-escalating and diffusing hostile situations. Ensuring Hope Awaits Ministries provides a physically, emotionally, and spiritually safe atmosphere for all clients.
- Hospitality Management: ensuring Hope Awaits Ministries provides for the physical needs of all clients, including good food, comfortable accommodations, and clean facilities.
- Office Management: maintaining program and client documents and records. Answering general phone, email, or in-person inquiries.
- Volunteer Management: directing the activities of volunteers.
- Engaging in other activities as directed and/or as necessary for the health and success of Hope Awaits Ministries.
Reports to: The Shelter Supervisor
Direct Reports: Shelter Care Workers preside over volunteers
Knowledge: The Shelter Care Worker will demonstrate sound biblical literacy and theological competency, exhibiting an ability to competently articulate the core message of the Gospel.
Skills: The Shelter Care Worker will be skilled in evangelism, planning, communication, delegation, diplomacy, conflict resolution, organization, and administration.
Personal Characteristics: The Shelter Care Worker must be a trustworthy and effective servant-leader who can adapt his or her style to different circumstances as they arise. The Shelter Care Worker will be compassionate, positive, tactful, calm under pressure, and able to skillfully respond to difficult situations.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirements
The following are considered to be bona fide occupational requirements of this position. They’re required to attain this position, as well as to continue in it.
- Faith: as this is a faith-based organization, the person who holds this position must possess a sincere and enduring Christian faith that aligns with Hope Awaits Ministries’ statement of faith.
- A Christian Lifestyle: the individual must have a lifestyle consistent with biblical Christianity, actively abstaining from sinful or shameful behaviour including, but not necessarily limited to, theft, lying, greed, idolatry, violence, rage, fraud, slander, gossip, lawbreaking, drunkenness, divisiveness and sexual immorality.
A varying combination of skills and experience may be considered when awarding this position to an applicant.
This position requires the following:
- Flexibility: must have flexibility in working hours and the willingness to work weekends and holidays as they coincide with regular shifts
- Legal Standing or Clearances: a clear criminal record check and vulnerable sector check
The following qualifications are considered ideal:
- Education: a diploma or bachelor’s degree in Social Work or a related field
- Experience: at least 1 year of experience working with at-risk individuals, those who struggle with mental health, addictions, and/or substance use
- Training: current training in First Aid, CPR, and/or Crisis Intervention
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 11294 ]