Kitchener, Ontario , N2G 3R1
In-person with occasional remote
MCEC seeks an organized, detail-oriented person with experience in accounting and bookkeeping to serve as Financial Manager. The Financial Manager plays a key role in the day-to-day operations of MCEC, ensuring that MCEC’s internal financial practices demonstrate good stewardship, meet industry best standards and adhere to charitable law requirements.
About Mennonite Church Eastern Canada
Mennonite Church Eastern Canada is a diverse community transformed by the love of God, inspired by the hope we find in Jesus and called to action by the power of the Holy Spirit. We believe that God is calling MCEC to be an Anabaptist Mennonite church; a covenanted partner in Mennonite Church Canada and Mennonite World Conference. This is a continuation of a historic tradition that emphasizes that Jesus is the centre of our faith, community is the centre of our life; and reconciliation is the centre of our work. As a community of congregations, we seek to join God’s mission in the world, encouraging all to respond to God’s gift of love revealed in Jesus, as described in scripture.
At MCEC, you will connect with a dynamic group of colleagues and church leaders across Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick. MCEC’s community of 105 congregations and church plants worship in 20 languages, and have diverse worship practices and theological perspectives within the broader Mennonite-Anabaptist tradition. MCEC staff team members come from different walks of life and bring diverse perspectives yet are united in their passion for the Church to thrive, following Jesus together.
You can find out more information at mcec.ca.
The Financial Manager oversees the finance responsibilities, including the primary function of bookkeeping. This person will ensure all accounting procedures, record-keeping, budget reporting and payroll functions are effectively managed adhering to best industry standards and charitable law.
- Experienced by others as a person of integrity and faith, who is called to offer their gifts and skills in service of the Church
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, capacity to think systematically
- Five to ten years accounting experience (in a charity or not-for-profit organization preferred)
- CPA/CGA certification preferred
- Significant experience required with accounting software (MCEC currently uses Adiago)
- Strong computer skills in Excel
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and intercultural competency in relating to people of all ages, ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds and theological persuasions internally and externally
Bookkeeping & Payroll Responsibilities
- Execute all weekly, monthly and annual tasks related to accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll
- Process all donations and prepare bank deposits
- Complete all data entry of donations from all sources
- Balance, prepare and send annual tax receipts and statements of donations
- Prepare monthly reconciliations (e.g. bank, fund, investments, credit cards, PayPal, Canada Helps)
- Ensure invoices and expenses are properly recorded, approved and coded, prepare cheques, online payments and filing
- Prepare general journal entries and ensure amounts balance
- Support the monthly budget reporting process
- Create and maintain payroll profiles for all employees
- Process semi-monthly payroll using online payroll software including processing time sheets, vacation pay, group benefits, and other additions and deductions
- Reconcile payroll totals and ensure all appropriate deductions are made by the due dates
- Ensure new employees are enrolled in the benefits plan at the appropriate time
- Prepare and file Records of Employment, and ensure the creation and timely distribution of T4s
- Manage cash flow, funds, investments
- Manage the budget process, including ensuring all parties complete their responsibilities at the appropriate stage
- Recommend adjustments to the budget e.g. milage, COLA, interest earned
- Prepare all budgets including recording all assumptions used
- Build and distribute monthly financial reports including interpretation and projection analysis
- Create projection and forecasting reports with appropriate commentary
- Respond to enquiries from staff, churches, constituents, etc. and make recommendations as needed that could benefit the whole
- Oversee all policies and procedures for expense reporting and accounts payable functions and donation collection, recording and reporting, and payroll, and ensure adherence; report any breaches or noncompliance to the appropriate managers
- Liaise with and support external auditors at every stage of the audit process
- Prepare variance and account analysis
- Prepare all government charitable financial reports ensuring they are accurate and adhere to charitable law
- Ensure that payroll and benefits are managed efficiently and according to Employment Standards Act
- Remain current and ensure adherence with all laws and best practices related to charitable finance law and payroll regulations and standards
- Ensure that fraud prevention procedures are followed regarding /counting procedures and maintaining separation of duties
- Present financial updates as needed
- Other responsibilities to support the Operations Director
Reports to: Operations Director
What We Offer
We offer a competitive benefits and pension plan, support professional development and continued learning, and provide the necessary tools required to do perform the role, including a laptop and monthly funds towards one’s personal cell phone bill.
We strive to achieve equality in the workplace, which means no one will be denied employment opportunities or benefits for reasons unrelated to fit for a role. We also understand employment equity means more than treating individuals in the same way but requires special measures and the accommodation of differences. As such accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Interested candidates can submit their cover letter and resume to John Reimer, Operations Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. MCEC thanks all candidates for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This role will remain posted until the role is filled.
Posted Under: Accounting / Finance
Career ID: [ 11666 ]