Inclusion Program Facilitator
Inclusion Program Facilitator
New Hamburg, Ontario , N3A 4B5
Duration: May - August 31
Hidden Acres has always been interested in the development of the whole person – physically, socially, emotionally and spiritually. We also want as many campers as possible to be able to have a fantastic experience at camp. We recognize though, that for some campers to have this experience, they need some extra staff support, so, since 1974 we have been striving to include campers with special needs in all aspects of the camp program. The Inclusion Program Facilitator will oversee all aspects of this part of the program from supporting campers and staff to helping to ensure our programs are as inclusive as possible. For more information on the inclusion program, click HERE.
Requirements for all Staff
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Has knowledge of the Christian faith and is willing to work supportively in a faith-based setting.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Model excellent leadership behaviours and participate in all aspects of camp life.
- First Aid, CPR and/or lifeguarding qualifications (NL certification or higher) are an asset, but not required.
- Is able to participate in our two Staff Orientation events: a weekend in May (May 5th-6th) and a week at the end of June (June 25th-30th).
Requirements for the Inclusion Program Facilitator
- Is able to teach, encourage and mentor other staff in the area of inclusion.
- Has an understanding of group dynamics, how to manage conflict and the ability to work with campers and staff to come up with solutions that help to create a safe and welcoming community.
- Having access to a car is an asset as home or site visits are a part of the work required before camp begins. Hidden Acres will reimburse for mileage costs for home visits at the rate of $0.59/km.
- Prior to school groups and camp starting, read reports from past Inclusion Program Facilitators.
- Ensure that campers, especially inclusion campers, feel included in the camp programs and have a successful week of camp.
- Set up a site/home visit for all new campers that register to come to camp and identify a need for extra support (visits are also done with returning campers on a case-by-case basis). During the visit you will gather information to help understand how best to support the camper so that they have a positive experience at camp. The visit will also help to determine whether Hidden Acres is a good match for the camper. If Hidden Acres is not a good match, work with the Program Director to recommend other possible alternative summer programs to the family. For returning campers, set up a phone call with the family to explore how their year has been and if there are any changes they experienced so that we can continue to be prepared to support them.
- Prepare information to be shared with the staff team at the beginning of each week that will help them be successful in supporting the inclusion campers. This information will be compiled from the camper registration forms, home/site visits and/or communication with the family or supporting agency.
- Spend 1:1 time with campers who have special needs and act as a resource for other staff.
- Check in with Cabin Leaders of campers with special needs on a daily basis to ensure that they are successfully supporting their campers and that the Cabin Leaders themselves are receiving any help and support required, especially after any high stress incidents.
- Be prepared to have Cabin Leader duty in cabins during weeks when there are several campers who have special needs. This may include supervision throughout the day and overnight.
- Be available to help in other areas of the camp program as a member of the staff team as needed.
- Add to the resource library of practical information on inclusion/special needs, behavior management techniques, adaptations or anything else that may be helpful to the staff.
- Plan and deliver, with the help of the Program Director or other staff, orientation sessions specifically focused on working with campers with special needs in the camp setting.
- Be prepared to provide an evaluation (written or verbal) of the inclusion campers for agencies and/or their parents.
- After each week of camp, submit to the office a detailed report on the inclusion campers from the previous week.
- Submit a written report, due within two weeks of camping ending that includes a description of your program area of responsibility, an evaluation of the programs, a final inventory of supplies (if applicable), and recommendations for the next year.
- The Inclusion Program Facilitator is responsible to the Program Director.
Notes: A completed Hidden Acres Staff application and a current police record check for the vulnerable sector are required before starting any Hidden Acres’ staff position.
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. We strive to live out our mission statement in our hiring practices, welcoming and encouraging applications from diverse groups. Accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you in the application and hiring process.
Posted Under: Camps
Career ID: [ 11752 ]