Join us on May 23, 2023, for our annual Preaching Conference. Focused on the theme “Preaching to Reach the World in Our Neighbourhood,” this one-day conference includes an exciting line-up of speakers and workshops and provides key opportunities for collaboration and discussion.
Camp Program Assistant: Head Lifeguard
Camp Program Assistant: Head Lifeguard
Reporting To: Camp Program Co-Ordinator
Status: Contract (June5 –August 26)
Primary Work Location: Caledon, ON
Scott Mission Camp exclusively serves children from low-income families in the GTA, providing highly subsidized camp programming for up to 100 children and youth per week. We run eight separate week-long, overnight camp sessions running from Monday-Saturday morning for children ages 8-14. We also run a session for youth 15-17 and a family camp week.
We strongly value building mentoring relationships with our campers, prayer, servant-hearted leadership, and, ultimately, sharing the gospel and love of Christ with our campers through Bible lessons, intentional conversations and daily cabin devotions.
This role starts in early-June as you will work in a team of 5 to plan camp. This includes coming up with games, skits, campfires, activities, purchasing necessary supplies for camp, decorating buildings on-theme, and more.
Once camp starts, you will work with the program team to run the camp schedule (ringing the bell to signal transitions, announcing and explaining games, running campfires and leading mealtimes). You will also work with the team to print and distribute staff schedules, organize activities, gather supplies for campfires and talent shows, and support the counsellors with managing campers.
In addition to working together to plan and lead camp program, each team member has a specialized area of focus: yours will be the pond and pool. You will be responsible for maintaining inventory of pond and pool supplies, setting up and taking down the pool before and after daily free swims (setting up buoy line, first aid kids, toys, sign-out sheets, etc), and creating a rotating weekly schedule for all lifeguards. You will also announce pool rules before every free swim and run weekly deep-end tests with campers.
As Head Lifeguard, you are expected to actively lifeguard as part of the weekly lifeguard schedule rotation.
Generally, the Head Lifeguard role is split with 85% focus on running camp program with the team and 15% focus on pond and pool tasks.
This job requires fantastic cooperation and teamwork skills, an ability to work both behind the scenes and command attention from a group, enthusiasm and creativity, and strong ability to pace yourself. Ultimately, we are looking for a servant-hearted leader with a heart for ministering to children and youth from low-income families.
This job can be challenging at times, but this could also be the best summer of your life! If this role interests you, we strongly encourage you to apply to be part of our SMC team for 2023!
This is a paid position with an opportunity for weekly boosts in pay if you sign up, and are chosen, for additional leadership responsibilities (worship team, Bible lesson teacher, high ropes, etc).
Required Experience and Education
- Desire to build mentoring relationships with, and care for the needs of, children
- Ability to positively influence, motivate and instruct children spiritually, emotionally, socially and intellectually.
- Vibrant personal relationship with God and willingness to share openly about the gospel
- Current NLS and CPR-C certifications
- Ability to manage large groups of people in an aquatic environment and maintain pool safety
- Strong knowledge of aquatic emergency procedures
- Leadership experience in an aquatic environment, especially of a lifeguard team
- Ability to speak dynamically in front of a group (and get them excited!)
- Willingness to create and engage in some spontaneous programming (skits, games, etc)
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude, even when tired
- Experience working with individuals and groups of children of various ages and abilities
- Servant-hearted leadership skills
- Ability to sustain the physical demands of an outdoor residential camp setting.
- Conscientious in matters of personal ethics and lifestyle.
- Fantastic cooperation, teamwork and conflict management skills
- Professionalism, maturity and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must work within and support The Scott Mission’s Christian Statement of Faith, Goals and Objectives
A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the responsibilities of this position may be considered in lieu of stated education and experience requirements. Interested applicants are invited to send a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com
The Scott Mission welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Employment is conditional to results of Police Reference Check and satisfactory reference.
Posted Under: Camps
Career ID: [ 12012 ]