Join us on May 23, 2023, for our annual Preaching Conference. Focused on the theme “Preaching to Reach the World in Our Neighbourhood,” this one-day conference includes an exciting line-up of speakers and workshops and provides key opportunities for collaboration and discussion.
Housing Support Worker
Housing Support Worker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Inner Hope Youth Ministries is a Christian non-profit with a vision of hope through relationships. We journey alongside youth and families in East Vancouver nurturing hope, belonging and growth through long-term relationship. Our community supports and empowers participants from diverse backgrounds, the majority from Indigenous descent.
We are seeking an individual who is flexible, ministry-minded and is passionate about journeying with youth and young adults to join our housing team. Our home for inner-city youth is built on transformative relationships with adult role models. Youth who choose to live in the Home are treated with dignity and respect and we celebrate each resident’s cultural heritage, supporting them as they achieve greater stability. “The Home” provides a family-style environment for up to four youth or young adults in East Vancouver who desire a safe, stable home environment with adult support and mentoring. A House Parent couple lives in The Home, modeling healthy living skills and providing support.
The Housing Support Worker is responsible for fostering a supportive home environment while managing daily home life and investing in residents and any friends/family who visit. You will support up to four youth/young adults modeling healthy life skills, providing practical support and rides, nurturing community and offering discipleship with those who desire it.
Start Date: April 19, 2023 (tentatively)
Length of Position: One-year contract, with possibility of renewal
Hours & Remuneration:
- $21.00 per hour: 14 hours/week Respite support is typically divided between 2 evenings/week and an additional 2 hours for meetings and/or flex hours to participate in community building activities outside of scheduled respite evenings.
- $200 for every 24-hour period of scheduled respite care provided Includes 1 weekend/month; longer periods of 1-2 weeks throughout the calendar year (up to 6 weeks) of House Parent vacation coverage
- You must be committed and available to "The Home" and residents on a full-time basis during 24-hour overnight coverage. You will receive 2 evenings off when covering "The Home" for a week.
Responsible to: Director of Programs
- Minimum one-year commitment to the role
- Supportive of Inner Hope’s Statement of Faith
- Passionate about Inner Hope’s Vision, Mission and Values
- Willingness to adhere to IHYM’s Code of Ethics and all staff policies
- Minimum two years of post-secondary education (related field is an asset)
- Minimum two years’ experience working or volunteering with youth including some experience with youth who have experienced trauma
- Knowledge and understanding of Vancouver’s Indigenous community is an asset
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Open and authentic; able to live for short periods with limited privacy in a community setting
- Acceptable current criminal record check
- Valid driver’s license
Contribute to Growth and Development of Residents
- Provide mentorship, support, and discipleship to the youth who reside in The Home.
- Develop supportive relationships with residents’ families and incorporate their families into The Home as opportunities arise.
- Undertake crisis intervention when necessary.
- Facilitate and participate in social activities within and outside The Home.
- Be an actively engaged, present role model.
- Maintain The Home as a safe place for all youth, guests, and staff.
- Host or attend celebrations for residents (birthdays, holidays, graduations, etc.).
- Encourage the involvement of youth in household chores and house life.
- Upkeep and participate in household management and systems (cleaning, meal preparation, etc.)
Communicate with House Parents
Work together on case management and home management strategies.
Track expenses, keep accurate records, complete incident reports when necessary.
- Heart for ministry
- Flexible and adaptable
- Practice good listening skills
- Healthy boundaries in life and relationships
- Collaborative; team player
- Able to build community
- Self-motivated and independent
Closing Date: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by March 27th, 2023. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 12108 ]