Join us on May 23, 2023, for our annual Preaching Conference. Focused on the theme “Preaching to Reach the World in Our Neighbourhood,” this one-day conference includes an exciting line-up of speakers and workshops and provides key opportunities for collaboration and discussion.
Hamilton, Ontario , L8M 1K8
Benediction Community Church (BCC) seeks a Worship Director (WD) for an immediate, half-time contract position requiring up to 20 hours per week, with an annual salary of $16,800 - $28,100 (rate to be negotiated based on experience, qualification, etc.)
- We’re a new (6yrs), growing church plant in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, learning to practice the way of Jesus together until it is in Hamilton as it is in heaven. We have a majority of millennials, with some Gen X (e.g., our pastor) and the odd Boomer. God has blessed us with several new families and members since the Pandemic who give and serve faithfully. Belonging in BCC is expressed in two main rhythms: We scatter into homes as Faith Families for community, discipleship, and mission. We also gather in a rented Anglican space for weekly worship on Sundays in Word + Table.
- We’ve been without a WD since our last one returned home to the US and we said a very sad ‘farewell’. Today we seek a creative, self-motivated, servant-hearted, Gospel-centered individual to oversee this Word + Table environment — a lead worshiper who’s passionate to see his/her community engage authentically with God.
QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES:
- The WD has a healthy personal relationship with God, and seeks a loving church community in which to serve and be served. Our WD is humbly orthodox: respectful toward diverse theological and cultural voices, yet firmly rooted with historic biblical doctrine and ethics. He or she will not be disqualified by beliefs, attitudes, or lifestyle patterns unbecoming of a leader in BCC. Rather, s/he will meet or exceed the deacon’s qualifications described in 1Tim. 3:8-13. S/he will be in essential agreement with the vision, values, and doctrinal statements of the Associated Gospel Churches of Canada (available by request) of which BCC is a member church
- Theological education and experience on a church staff are assets, but not required. The WD reports to, and will be mentored and encouraged by our lead pastor / planter, Mike Mileski.
- Our WD is a competent musician, confident leading worship instrumentally and vocally, solo or with teams. S/he is proficient with at least one instrument (ideally the guitar and/or the piano/keyboard).
- S/he is also a servant, a leader, an organizer, an artist, theologically literate, and will be (or become) at home in Hamilton.
- The WD will be (or become) knowledgeable with web-based planning and communications software. These may include Google Docs, Apple Keynote, Microsoft Powerpoint, Zoom, Planning Centre, Proclaim!, CCLI Song Select, Anchor, and social media apps such as Facebook and Instagram.
- The WD is comfortable in a liturgical setting, and appreciates sacred art, architecture, and music, all of which fill our worship space. S/he has been blessed by historic Christian worship traditions (e.g., responsive readings, hymns, creeds, etc.) that have been adapted for modern sensibilities.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Worship Planning: The WD will have considerable freedom to create and implement worship plans, in consultation with the lead pastor. S/he will draw on the best of both the Church’s historic and modern traditions. Elements will include on-screen visuals, calls to worship, responsive readings / prayers, art installations, benedictions, and others, to suit the aims of the gathering. Some liturgies may follow the Christian calendar (e.g., Advent, Lent) or dates of cultural significance (e.g., Black + Indigenous history, Mental Health, Graduations, Dedications, Baptisms, etc.).
- Music: Our ideal WD will lead worship most weeks. S/he will curate songs / worship elements that are suitable for inclusion in worship by the WD and our volunteers. Their own musical compositions / arrangements will be welcome. Their leadership up front will be marked by an undistracting excellence that leads us to adore Jesus (not the worship leader). The WD will provide constructive feedback and training to our volunteer worship leaders, instrumentalists, and vocalists.
- Supports: The WD will meet with the pastor at least once per week. S/he will have unrestricted access to digital tools / resources such as those listed above, and may implement new ones. The WD will have a dedicated office, a Macbook Pro computer (if needed), and access to budgeted funds allocated for the worship ministry. Regular feedback will be given and sought from the WD, whose voice will be integral to the church community.
- Equipment: The WD will choose the physical arrangement of audio / visual equipment. S/he will (or will recruit volunteers who) adjust the mixer as needed, and see that equipment is safely operated and stored.
- Admin: Our WD will ensure the various weekly volunteer roles required for W+T are filled and that volunteers have what they need. The WD will have discretion to recruit, train, schedule, and track with lay volunteers in the use of their gifts. A team of volunteers will be available to assist the WD in creative planning and feedback. The WD will be above reproach with those in their care.
- Community: The WD will participate in BCC as a member, and be accountable to the community (and vice versa) according to our membership covenant.
- Other: The WD agrees may be required to serve in other capacities / roles as needed, in consultation with the lead pastor.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your cover letter and resume (PDF format) to email@example.com. Include at least two references who can describe observed, relevant ministry experience, competence, and character. We thank you for your interest; only those applicants we wish to consider will be contacted for an interview. For more info, visit Benediction Church
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 12121 ]