Join us on May 23, 2023, for our annual Preaching Conference. Focused on the theme “Preaching to Reach the World in Our Neighbourhood,” this one-day conference includes an exciting line-up of speakers and workshops and provides key opportunities for collaboration and discussion.
Building Maintenance Worker
Building Maintenance Worker
SIM is a 129-year-old catalyst for global missions that goes above in prayer and beyond in care to bring good news to hard places because there are people living and dying without the gospel. The vision of SIM is to see a witness to Christ’s love where He is least known, disciples of Jesus expressing God’s love in their communities, and Christ-centered churches among all peoples. SIM Canada is part of an international mission organization with more than 4,000 ministry workers, serving in more than 70 countries from over 60 different diverse nationalities. We are both a sending and receiving agency, sending people from Canada, receiving people to Canada, and serving in Canada alongside the church. We are looking for people who love Jesus and who are willing to use their skills on one of our ministry teams here at home or worldwide.
The primary purpose of this role is to perform generalized maintenance related to our office building, grounds and equipment. This position reports directly to the Director of Projects and Facilities.
- Establishes, monitors, and carries out preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for our building, equipment and grounds. Ensures building and equipment meet all safety, security and fire regulations and policies. Makes recommendations for major repairs and purchases to supervisor
Performs minor carpentry, electrical, painting, mechanical and plumbing maintenance and repairs such as repairing furniture, constructing shelves, installing switches, replacing plugs and other basic appliance repairs, applying paint and other finishes, repairing drywall, disassembling and reassembling equipment, replacing sinks and toilets and applying finishing material such as linoleum
- Monitors work performed by contractors, prepares estimates of labour and material costs, contacts external contractors and trades people to obtain quotes and arranges for major repairs and maintenance work
- Take garbage and recyclable materials curb each week for removal by the City
Cleans external areas such as entrance ways, sidewalks and parking lots using various tools, rakes, shovels and other equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow and other debris. Performs minor gardening and lawn maintenance tasks such as mowing, pruning and watering
- Prepare an annual budget for the facilities and submit it to the Supervisor for inclusion in the amalgamated budget process
- Ensure that the building is secure, and the alarm is set during the periods that the office is closed
- Maintain a list of who has access to various parts of the building and the keys for each staff member
- Be on call as the primary contact in case of emergency associated with the building
- Is a member of the ‘Health and Safety Committee’ and arranges periodic fire drills
- Liaise with our building tenants (office tenants) on maintenance needs
- Daily mail franking and delivery to the Canada Post
- Monitoring postal account [i.e. Ensuring sufficient postal funds and oversight of tenant’s postal accounts as required]
- Sorting/sending magazines [3 per year] and other promotional materials as required
- High school diploma or grade 12 equivalency
- You will possess a strong combination of education and work experience
- Working knowledge of facilities machines and equipment
- Experience in planning maintenance operations
- Great interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- General knowledge of building maintenance practices
- Knowledge of computer software including MS Office and related program
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands and effectively manage time
- Present a professional attitude and appearance
- Valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle, along with a clean driving abstract
Work Location & Hours:
- SIM Canada National Office - 10 Huntingdale Blvd, Scarborough, ON M1W 2S5
- 2-3 days per week
- All Members of the National Office are expected to be involved in the following:
- Attend Prayer Chapels (8:30 AM – 9:00 AM)
SIM Mission Statement:
Convinced that no one should live and die without hearing God's good news, we believe He has called us to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in communities where he is least known.
Therefore, compelled by God's great love and empowered by the Holy Spirit…
We cross barriers to proclaim the crucified and risen Christ, expressing His love and compassion among those who live and die without Him,
We make disciples who will trust and obey Jesus, and become part of Christ-centered churches,
We work together with churches to fulfill God's mission across cultures, locally and globally,
We facilitate the participation in cross-cultural ministry of those whom God is calling.
SIM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Accommodation requests can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, provided the applicant has met the requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 12197 ]