Tyndale is partnering with Effect Hope to bring Philip Yancey: “Restoring Hope” to our community on Tuesday September 26 at 7:30PM. Together we will rediscover the power of hope and the difference it can make in our daily lives.
Chief Operating Engineer (Full-Time)
Chief Operating Engineer (Full-Time)
Tyndale is a Christian university that prepares leaders for work in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, ministry and the global mission of the church. Tyndale offers fully accredited programs in a wide range of disciplines at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Currently, there are over 1,600 students representing over 40 denominations and 60 ethnic backgrounds and over 13,000 alumni. Founded in 1894, Tyndale is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
As the sole full-time engineer position at Tyndale, the Chief Operating Engineer ensures the safe and efficient operations of the heating and cooling systems at Tyndale. This includes hands-on work, supervision of the part-time engineer, responding to emergencies and working with external service providers. As a part of the greater Campus Operations team, The Chief Operating Engineer ensures smoother operations by working closely with the Campus Facilities department.
- Serve as primary engineer in operating low-pressure boiler and chiller plant
- In collaboration with the Director, recruit, assign tasks, and supervise the weekend engineer
- Ensure compliance with policies/procedures and related laws and legislation
- Manage the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) of the entire campus
- Liaise with external contractors regarding HVAC service and equipment
- Manage the Building Automation Software (BAS) for the safe and efficient operation of the automated systems and comfort of the facility
- Perform scheduled equipment inspections per daily rounds schedule and preventive maintenance schedule including but not limited to filter and belt changes, pump/motor oiling, coil cleaning, generator testing, and heating and cooling season start-ups and shut-downs
- Document daily routines and safety checks in the Engineer Log Book as per TSSA requirements
- Be available on-call after-hours and on weekends; must carry an emergency paging device to respond to emergency calls
- Assist Director in projecting HVAC equipment and service requirements for budget planning purposes
- Provides supervision to the Weekend Engineer through training, updates and communication, etc
- Ensure staff performance evaluations are completed and performance goals are set for Weekend Engineer
- In consultation with the Director of Campus Operations, review, make recommendations and update the Policies and Procedures Manuals for engineering and boiler room operations
- Research, analyze, monitor and negotiate equipment and services for all HVAC contracts, in consultation with the Director of Campus Operations
Maintenance and Facilities Support
- Provide support to Campus Facilities’ team for maintenance-related repairs and emergency response situations
- Assist with events setups, teardowns and office moves, as needed
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
- Two years post-secondary training or equivalent, (ie. Community College, Technical Institute or Trade School)
- 4 to 5 years related experience
Skills and Abilities
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Confident and result oriented
- Energetic, enthusiastic
- Flexible and consistent
- Self-starter and team-oriented
Physical and Mental Demands
- Light physical effort (ability to lift up to 20lbs or equivalent)
- Moderate to high level of stress that may result from dealing with emergencies, personnel issues, negotiating and liaising with multiple deadlines and demands
TSSA –required Fourth Class Operating Certificate.
PPE – required to wear steel-toed boots; other PPE including gloves, protective clothing, safety vests, safety glasses, hearing protection, and hardhats as needed
Salary Range : 52,500.00 - 58,250.00
How to Apply
External candidates can apply for the position at the External Career Center. While we thank all those interested, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal candidates can apply on ADP Workforce Now through the Career Centre. The Career Center can be accessed through the path Myself > Talent > Career Center.
Posted Under: Management
Career ID: [ 13739 ]