Abbotsford, British Columbia , V2T 6H9
Purpose of the position:
Abbotsford Vineyard Church (AVC) is at present undergoing an exciting transition toward a highly collaborative organization, valuing broad engagement and opportunity for participation in highly meaningful ways. Our goal is a strong culture of invitation in which the dreams and giftings of our members are celebrated, affirmed and called forward. As a result, a prime characteristic in all staff hires will be the passion and ability to identify the potential in each person, to empower them, and to connect them with others along a common visionary journey .
Our pastor of Middle and High School youth will be part of a larger team of servant leaders dedicated to the flourishing of each life that is part of our community. He / she will be expected to build teams of youth and young adults and together with them cultivate a culture marked by living and growing in Jesus - practically reaching toward our stated vision and tangibly modeling and encouraging our values. He / she will do this in the following ways:
The youth pastor will intentionally pursue relationship with and between the youth (Middle and High School) in the church and/or the community on a personal and spiritual level. He / she will provide consistent encouragement for them to deepen their relationship with Jesus. This will involve:
- Actively engaging Middle and High School youth both at a group level and also through individual appointments, connecting with them in their own environment as well as within the church context.
- Modeling and encouraging a reading of and love for God’s word through practical teaching and study.
- Providing opportunities for caring and outreach to their peers and for engagement with social justice and evangelism locally and internationally.
- Involvingteens in partnering with the Holy Spirit - growing in the gifts of the Spirit and developing faith and sensitivity in praying for others.
- Facilitating intimate and passionate times of worship and prayer within the church and beyond.
- Developing a mentoring culture within the youth community but also being present to provide coaching, counsel and pray personally.
- Listening and collaborating with parents of the youth and whenever possible fostering healthy family relationships between youth and parents.
- Above all, demonstrating authentic, mature faith and willing obedience to Jesus in all aspects of his / her personal life and engagement with our faith community.
Mentoring / Coaching Responsibilities:
A major focus of the Youth Pastor’s role will be supporting and enabling younger leaders to meaningfully engage with them in all aspects of AVC youth culture and discipleship. This will involve:
- Championing the development of youth leaders by involving them in envisioning, planning, teaching, leading and evaluating at appropriate levels.
- Including youth in realistic but expanding ways in the actual decision-making surrounding leadership planning and implementation.
- Overseeing the recruiting, selection, training, development, and evaluation of present and future leaders.
- Fostering an environment that emphasizes our core values and consistently produces a supportive and encouraging team environment.
- Meeting regularly with volunteer youth leaders (and others when possible) to support, pray for, plan and discuss upcoming events.
- Together with other youth leaders, creating new initiatives as needed and evaluating programs and activities on a regular basis.
Administrative / Managing Responsibilities:
- Administering the youth budget and submitting all related receipts.
- Taking final responsibility for the scheduling and implementation of all activities and events for Middle and High School youth as required.
- Clearly and effectively communicating to the youth & parents though email, social networking, the AVC website and app, the Sunday bulletin and visual media.
- Providing resources and information for the AVC website and app.
- A diploma or bachelor’s degree in youth care, pastoral ministry, counselling or other relevant education in preferred.
- Previous experience working with youth in a church or ministry context.
A six-month probationary period will commence from the starting date. This job description is a starting point and subject to change, in order to meet the evolving needs of the people of the Abbotsford Vineyard Church.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Youth/Youth Worker
Career ID: [ 6543 ]