Scarborough, Ontario, Ontario , M1V 4Y1
The Communication Officer is responsible for and focused on leadership and team development, oversight and execution of all aspects of communications that creatively engages the church and community at large. The individual will work cooperatively with staff, church leadership and laity in exploring, organizing and prioritizing effective means to communicate the ministries, programs and life of the church through various available communication platforms (web, print, video, social media, email, etc.).
Job Type: Full time
Reports to: Admin Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is the focal point of contact for which all internal and external communications are generated and facilitated.
- Strategic Communication Planning & Leadership Level Communication Execution
- Provide support pastors/deacon/ministry leadership teams to properly draft communication strategic plan on how best to engage our congregation on key church matters. This includes writing major communication pieces/events with strategic objectives (policy write-ups, community engagement, member meeting, external public statements etc.)
- Develop, coordinate and oversee volunteers to accomplish communication goals. Develop volunteer teams as deemed necessary to accomplish communications goals. Recruit, train, and care for volunteers (artists, designers, photographers, writers).
- Develop a system to organize, prioritize and communicate items related to SCBC.
- Monitor the look, vibe, and feel of all communication materials representing SCBC.
- Develop, implement, evaluate and refine communications to increase effectiveness of our communication to the church body and local community.
- Digital Content Management & Execution
- Oversee the creation, maintenance and updates of the website on a regular basis and serves as the Webmaster for church’s website. Ensure content is current, appropriate, and exuberates artistic and creative excellence. Monitor and analyze website stats, performance, functionality, layouts and features, work closely with office technical support staff.
- Develop ways to creatively communicate stories of life-change within the church in order to enhance inter-congregational understanding, support, prayer, synergy, and unity.
- Congregational Digital Engagement
- Investigate new innovative ways (ie webapps, secure sms messaging, zoom, video recording) to engage SCBC members with different needs (i.e. younger crowd on social media, older crowd needed high touch communication on phone and txt messaging) on a regular basis for our leaders and congregants to communicate and develop "closeness and attachment" to the church, especially during unprecedented times of limited connection and communication.
- Provide guidance to office / leadership teams for effective and impactful communication plan on an on-going basis to deepen church connection by writing, coordinating and deploying testimonies, stories and news of congregations to promote congregational level engagement.
- Ministry-Level Communication Coordination & Worship Support
- Alleviate the heavy burden of communication and administrative tasks that pastors currently take-on and collaborate with them on innovative digital ways for worship service formats
- Coordinate all necessary information for regular communication needs (i.e. lay leader announcements, SCBC wide or language specific events & promotions) Develop and prepare content, graphic designs, images, or videos for special promotional materials (brochures, posters, etc.) for worship series, holidays, financial reports, fundraisers, facility upgrades, church activities and ministries (e.g. town halls, members meetings, annual reports, etc.) with a high standard of creativity, excellence, and effectiveness.
- Support and effectively administer Communications budget.
- Participate in staff meetings, retreats and other events as needed.
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, graphic design or equivalent work experience.
- At least 3 years working as a graphic design/communications/marketing professional in a fast-pace environment.
- Knowledge and experience with software programs such as Adobe CS6 (especially Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator and InDesign), and other web modules (e.g. Google Suite).
- Professional experience with Microsoft and Mac Operating Systems.
- Knowledge and expertise with website platform WordPress.
- Preferred skills: MediaShout, MailChimp, Planning Centre, video editing
- Strong creativity and design skills in creating marketing assets/materials; attention to detail.
- Excellent communicator (both written and verbal) in English and Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin).
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills and ability to check for both theological and grammatical errors. This individual serves as the “eyes” for all things print and electronic, looking for clear communication, brand presence and consistency.
- Is current on creative, communications and technological trends and looks for opportunities to use this information to more effectively communicate with the community and church family.
- Budget and vendor management experience.
- A mature Christian and commit to the philosophy, values and mission of SCBC.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to manage multiple projects and thrive in a deadline intensive environment.
- A visionary with a contagious spirit to see how SCBC can be concise, clear and creative in communications. Ability to rally the team(s) together for a common vision.
- Ability to view all ministries in a holistic view and formulate, plan and execute appropriate communication of that ministry.
- Exhibits a team-oriented mindset towards accomplishing the church’s ministry (e.g. - co-develop project specific communications strategies). Good listener and values helping people.
- A self-starter and self-motivated with the ability to make decisions independent of supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt to rapidly changing situations; flexibility a must.
- Ministry-minded and open-minded. Maintains confidentiality.
- Personal desire for excellence in work.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Applications are being received at email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for Communication Officer
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Canada M1V 4Y1
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is an evangelical church with three congregations: English, Cantonese, and Mandarin. We are strategically located in the Greater Toronto Area which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America.
The Communication Office is a hands-on professional who will work in collaboration with staff, church leadership and laity in a team approach in communicating the message of Jesus Christ and SCBC to our church body and to the community.
Posted Under: Administration
Career ID: [ 8295 ]