Kitchener, Ontario , N2H 1N2
Position Title: Custodian
Functional Description: Custodial/Janitorial Duties
- Ensure that all areas of the church are clean and ready for staff and members of the congregation to use. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Cleaning and sanitizing washrooms
- Cleaning and minor repairs of all windows and doors
- Vacuuming and spot cleaning of carpet
- Setting up rooms for meetings and assisting with preparations for events such as weddings, funerals, etc.
- Dusting and cobweb removal
- Checking of sanctuary for removal of garbage
- Unlocking and locking church at specified times
- Replacing any burned-out lights
- Taking out garbage and recycling
- Putting in supply orders and picking them up
- Minor repairs and painting
- Ability to lift heavy objects, climb ladders and work at particular heights
- Report any safety, sanitary, or fire hazards to the appropriate department
- Lock and unlock windows, doors, and gates
- Ensure grounds areas, walkways are clean and orderly
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check
- Other duties as assigned
- Work with office staff and Facilities team to make sure kitchen area is up to standards with Food Safety Legislation
- Observe proper chemical handling procedures (WHMIS) when working with cleaning agents, including wearing gloves, goggles or masks and following written or verbal instructions
- Have a working knowledge of HVAC systems, boilers, plumbing, etc.
- Interact in a respectful, positive manner with all contacts
- Be a growing, committed believer in Jesus Christ
- High school diploma or equivalent with custodial experience is preferred
- Understanding of cleaning techniques and safety procedures
- Ability to make basic repairs, including basic plumbing and electrical work (i.e. changing taps, changing ballast/bulbs, painting, etc.)
- Capable of lifting up to 30 pounds
- Strong communication, comprehension and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to adjust schedule to suit the needs of the church
- Valid Driver’s License with access to a vehicle (especially when the church is not staffed, nor open)
- Motivation to work independently and prioritize workflow
- Must comply with the Plan to Protect and become an Approved Worker under this plan. A Police Record Check will be required of the successful candidate
Reports to: Bethany Operations Leadership Team - Facilities Champion and Board of Directors
Works closely with: Pastors, Staff Team, and Facilities Team
COVID-19 Status Employment Considerations
All workers are expected to wear PPE (masks) on site. Each site follows protocol requirements as set out by the Provincial Government regarding COVID-19 prevention & awareness. In the current context of COVID-19, for the safety of both respondents and employees, staff will be provided with personal safety equipment and will practice physical distancing when performing duties.
The hours of this position, and the duties required, will change and flex based on the Region of Waterloo COVID-19 status (i.e., green vs. red vs. grey) as it impacts the ability to gather at the Church.
$18 - $21/hour for 30 or 40 hours/week, depending on experience (plus benefits if working full time with half paid by church, half by employee).
Monday – Friday: 7:30 am – 3:30 pm or 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
Capacity to work flexed hours on occasional nights and/or weekends to accommodate special events or rentals is required.
Posted Under: Ministry - General
Career ID: [ 8541 ]