Caledon Village, Ontario
Founded in 1941 as a non-denominational Christian ministry, The Scott Mission community is called to serve those who experience poverty; responding to spiritual, physical, social and emotional needs of the vulnerable of all ages.
The Scott Mission is a community that continually seeks to be:
- centered in and dependent on Jesus Christ
- gracious, generous and collaborative in our relationships
- servant hearted, innovative and professional in our work
- rooted in God’s rescuing work in history
Our Vision Prayer: Poverty in full retreat, flourishing for all, in Toronto and beyond. The Mission is currently undergoing a transformational, five-year strategic plan with the following objectives in place: Increasing capacity and enhancing basic needs services, deepening clients’ transformational impact, multiplying partnerships and offering spiritual leadership to Canadians.
Status: Seasonal (mid June - end of August)
Starting Date: Mid June - End of August
Work Location: Caledon
The Camp Counselor will report directly to the Section Head and will be working and living in the Caledon Camp for the summer season. The Camp Counselor is responsible in stewarding the Health, Safety and Spiritual welfare of campers and assisting in maximizing their enjoyment and benefit of the camping experience.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Care and Supervision: Counsellors are paired with one other counsellor in cabin groups and are required to care for and supervise their campers 24 hours a day for each camp session. Attention will be given to campers’ physical, emotional, mental, spiritual and social needs within the context of a camp environment and cabin group
- Behaviour Management: Counsellors will be required to appropriately and effectively manage, handle and solve problem behaviour as it arises
- Program Leadership: Each counsellor will be required to assume a great range of leadership roles in the implementation of the daily program. This includes theme day skits, cabin activity planning and campfire participation
- Lifestyle Evangelism: Counsellors must demonstrate a keen interest in children and camping ministry. Our evangelism strategy requires counsellors who are able to share a vibrant Christian faith willingly with others. Counsellors must have the ability to clearly share the gospel message with campers
- Service Responsibilities: The counsellor’s job is one of the most draining of all the positions at camp. An overwhelming range of demands upon the counsellor implies the need for good self-governing in the use of hours off and regularly scheduled activities. The high incidence of behaviour and emotional problems among our clientele requires maturity, sensitivity, compassion and love in excessive amounts
Other Duties Include
- Ability to perform spontaneous and individual programming
- Teach bible principles to large and small groups of children and youth
- Adhere to confidentiality and privacy act, upload professional integrity pertains to relationship, programs and work ethic
Required Experience & Education
- Personal faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to building Christian community
- A passion for building relationship and working with children and youth; Experience working with individual and groups of children of various ages and abilities
- Ability to positively influence, motivate and instruct children spiritually, emotionally, socially and intellectually
- Excellent behavioural management skills, ability to relate to peers and children
- Excellent critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong mental and physical stamina to work in an outdoor residential camp setting
A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the responsibilities of this position may be considered in lieu of stated education and experience requirements.
Interested applicants are invited to apply online.
The Scott Mission welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Employment is conditional to results of Police Reference Check and satisfactory reference.
Posted Under: Camps
Career ID: [ 8668 ]