Coquitlam, British Columbia , V3J 3B8
We are prayerfully seeking a qualified man or woman to be our next Lead Pastor.
Calvary Baptist Church is located in suburban Coquitlam, BC, about 30 minutes east of downtown Vancouver. We are an active member of the Baptist Conference of British Columbia (BCBC) and the Baptist General Conference of Canada (BGC) with a congregation of about 200. We are a Christ-centred, egalitarian, cross-cultural and inter-generational community called to model unity and to live prayerfully, generously and redemptively in a broken world. Calvary exists to glorify God by bringing people into a living knowledge of the indwelling life of Christ based on our Core Values: Worship, Community, Discipleship, Prayer and Generosity https://www.calvarybaptist.ca/about.
Calvary has a young, talented, passionate staff of pastors, interns and an office administrator who have led us through many changes due to leadership turnovers and the COVID-19 pandemic. Since February 2020 we have enjoyed the leadership of a Transitional Pastor. We also have a multigenerational Elders Council of men and women who serve with heartfelt integrity. In November 2020 the congregation voted to change our bylaws to affirm an official egalitarian position, allowing women to also serve in the lead pastor role.
The Lead Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church is responsible for the overall spiritual and administrative leadership of the congregation and staff, the fulfillment of Calvary Baptist Church's purpose and mission, alignment of values and the realization of its goals. The position is accountable to and works collaboratively with the Calvary Baptist Church Elders Council.
- Meet the qualifications of an elder:
- His/her life shall substantially demonstrate and aspire to qualities expressed in 1 Timothy 3:1-7; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Titus 1:5-9.
- Spiritual Leader who has a heart for our Core Values
- He/she shall demonstrate financial stewardship and show a desire and gifts to serve God by leading His people.
- Agree with Calvary’s statement of faith
- Theologically egalitarian, but understanding of issues on both sides with sensitivity to bridge the gap.
Education & Experience
- At least a Bachelor's Degree in Biblical Studies/Theology from an accredited Bible College or University. Master’s Degree from a University or Seminary preferred.
- Proven track record of Pastoral Leadership, preferably having served as lead pastor for at least 5 years.
- Hold credentials, or willing to be credentialed, with the Baptist General Conference.
- Heart to mentor and guide staff, provide leadership, vision and strategy.
Pulpit Ministry & Communication Skills
- Able to motivate people to fulfill the eternal purposes of God and our church vision through the preaching of anointed, life applicable, and scripturally-based sermons.
- Main speaker at services, but shares pulpit, providing opportunities for others.
- Develops and clearly communicates the vision and missional priorities of the church
- Demonstrates effective communication and public relations skills.
- Demonstrates proficiency with biblical conflict resolution with strong people skills.
Pastoral Care, Administrative & Leadership Skills
- Able to develop a leadership team, staff and volunteers to lead and execute the church’s activities, ensuring that required skills are developed.
- A visionary leader who is able to deploy people in their areas of strength and keep them accountable to the vision and goals of the Church.
- Able to establish and promote teamwork and relationship when working with Elders, staff and volunteers.
- Champions and guards the spiritual and doctrinal values of the Church.
- Ability to nurture strong relationships with the congregation and to model service and the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
Community Involvement, Evangelism & Missions
- Considers local & international missions, evangelism and community outreach a priority.
- Encourages the church to be involved with impactful community events.
- Embraces a cross-cultural ministry.
- Promotes and expands the work of world missions and the regular support of affiliated missionaries.
- Called and determined to see the establishment of God’s Kingdom in our church, in our community, in our country and in our world.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and education.
If you believe God might be leading you to consider becoming our Lead Pastor and an integral part of our Calvary family, we would like to hear from you. Please send us your résumé, and a cover letter that includes responses to the following questions (max 300 words):
- How should the Church live out its mission in today's society in a post-pandemic reality?
- What are your views on the role of women in the church?
- What is your passion for drawing people to Christ/evangelism?
Only applicants with existing Canadian work authorization will be considered.
Please submit all materials electronically via email to email@example.com.
Applications will be assessed and moved forward as soon as they are received.
Posted Under: Pastoral
Career ID: [ 8849 ]