Toronto, Ontario , M6R 1Y4
This executive search is conducted by Nelson/Kraft & Associates on behalf of Westminster Classical Christian Academy.
Westminster Classical Christian Academy, in Toronto’s High Park, is a relatively new school community of 80 young students (JK-8). WCCA seeks a strong administrative principal to provide oversight and leadership to the 15 dedicated staff and faculty. As Principal, you will have a love for Christ and a love for education, be gifted in communicating with parents, teachers and students, and fully embrace and support the classical education model.
WCCA employs a time-honoured classical model of education, through which students master the skills of reading well, writing well, speaking well, and thinking well. Subject areas are taught in an integrated manner, giving students a broader and deeper understanding of God’s world.
At WCCA, students gain great depth and breadth of knowledge, but, more importantly, they learn the tools of learning that lead to a lifelong love of learning. Classical education focuses on the art of thinking. Our goal is to develop articulate, thoughtful, and discerning students, preparing them to live faithfully in God’s world and bring God’s Word to bear on all areas of life.
Students come from all across the city, from Etobicoke to Scarborough and other parts of the GTA. Classroom sizes are intentionally small with a desired student teacher ratio of 12:1.
Westminster Classical Christian Academy’s Principal and Governance Board are responsible for preserving and achieving the distinctives and mission of WCCA. As Lead Educator and Administrator of the JK through Grade 8 program, the Principal is responsible for implementing the Christian and Classical vision of WCCA.
The Principal builds, trains, and leads a highly qualified Faculty. Partnering with parents, they attend to the intellectual, spiritual, moral, and physical growth of each child, firmly rooted in an orthodox Christian and richly Classical understanding of education. Administratively, the Principal will supervise the effective development of WCCA’s educational program within the Classical tradition; define and continue to build a school culture of responsibility, courtesy, gratitude, and kindness; increase enrollment and retention; manage finances; and report to the Governance Committee on these initiatives.
Executive Leadership & Administration
- Provides visible, relational, and spiritual leadership to the Faculty and student body.
- Oversees the overall daily operations of the school.
- Maintains conduct befitting a disciple of Christ, particularly in both public and private conversation (including Social Media).
- As a non-voting member of the Board, provides key status updates and collaborates with the Board to establish policies and processes.
- Actively participates in Board meetings on a monthly basis and writes monthly reports.
- Creates and manages the budget in liaison with the Board.
- Determines Faculty salaries and contractual obligations in liaison with the Board.
- Oversees course scheduling and school calendar.
- Provides a weekly update for parents.
- Administers student disciplinary measures, including probation, suspension, or expulsion.
- Participates in promotional events.
- Interviews prospective families and is responsible for admissions decisions.
- Resolves interpersonal problems, applying Biblical principles.
- Develops and implements performance metrics.
- Leads in developing the strongest possible educational programs to promote the objectives of the school; to educate students with a Biblical worldview, develop Christian virtues, and to sharpen critical thinking.
- Reviews current curricular choices, adjusting them where necessary to ensure an overarchingly robust, thorough, and sequential academic program.
- Reviews and approves curricular goals for each grade and evaluates curriculum and program with appropriate Faculty.
- Manages new technologies and resources while thoughtfully and critically limiting their impact on Classical methods.
- Plans weekly Chapel Service.
- Oversees all school events and extracurricular activities.
Skills & Abilities
- Strives for excellence and is passionate about a full-orbed Classical approach.
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills for use both in school and publicly.
- Possesses organizational gifts, flexibility, and problem-solving skills.
- Leads with transparency and is receptive to an appropriate level of accountability.
- Attuned to the unique cultural challenges of the age, seeking discernment and guidance from Scripture in how to educate our youth in an urban, highly diverse environment.
- Effectively communicates with students, parents, Faculty, and community members in truth and love.
- Functions as the primary communicator with the student and parents concerning academic issues and disciplinary conduct.
- Able to instruct effectively, inspire, and assess children in a variety of areas through creative, purposeful, and age-appropriate methods.
- Implements school policies, provincial laws and regulations, and guidelines affecting teachers and students, provided those laws do not violate the Scriptures.
- As a committed Christian, lives a life of integrity and humility, and fully embraces the WCCA Statement of Faith & Core Family Values.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience preferred in Classical education, ideally in a K-8 setting.
- Demonstrated history of effective leadership in a Christian school (5 years minimum).
- Demonstrated history of guiding the professional development of classroom teachers.
- Proven record of accurately identifying areas for improvement and effecting change.
To obtain a complete Opportunity Profile, please visit our website.
Application Deadline: June 18, 2021
Start Date: Fall 2021
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter and C.V.
- Philosophy of Education (approx. 500 words)
- Philosophy of Discipline (approx. 500 words)
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive search firm specializing in the recruitment of executive management and fundraising personnel in the charitable sector. We work with a diverse group of not-for-profit organizations through the connection of colleagues in Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Toronto.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted Under: Education
Career ID: [ 8929 ]