Bridge (9:30 am) Music Director
Bridge (9:30 am) Music Director
Toronto, Ontario , M4W 1C8
St. Paul’s Bloor Street (SPBS) is a vibrant and growing Anglican church located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We are looking for a professional, outgoing, dependable and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about developing the musical capabilities of the community. We are seeking an individual to grow the music ministry, creating an atmosphere in our contemporary worship service, the Bridge (9:30 am), in which God is worshipped and glorified.
As a member of our ministry team, the Bridge (9:30 am) Music Director will report to the Lead Minister (Rector). They will support the music ministry by leading and developing the worship band (musicians and vocalists) and leading the congregation in contemporary worship in a traditional setting. Development of volunteer teams and hired professionals, with a vision to expand the music program and use music as a tool for outreach, will be key.
Worship Planning and Administration
- Coordinate all musical aspects of the Bridge (9:30) contemporary service, including leading rehearsals, developing and scheduling teams of instrumentalists and vocalists.
- Attend weekly planning meetings to coordinate musical pieces with scheduled service themes and Scripture; ensuring the service flows smoothly both for in-person and online worship.
- Oversee and coordinate the music for the teams; providing appropriate music/charts to musicians, lyrics to service staff and working with audio/sound techs as needed.
- Manage hiring and direction of professional music leads.
Worship Leadership and Development
- Lead the worship band and congregation in worship on Sunday’s and special services, as required.
- Evaluate the music on an ongoing basis to ensure congregational engagement with worship.
- Seek to integrate the Bridge music ministry into the wider church life by partnering with the Classic (11am) Music Director and Youth Music Leader to create a community that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to complement other church ministries.
Music Team (Band) Development
- Recruit, train and mentor volunteer band members with diverse gifts and personalities, to provide an acoustically excellent worship experience.
- Raise up, develop and empower other musical gifts from within the parish.
- Assume pastoral and discipleship care of the worship teams.
And other duties as required
Must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Skilled leadership—knows how to lead people of all ages with a discipline and confidence that challenges musicians to grow in their skills & commitment.
- Reading sheet music and charts.
- The contemporary worship music canon.
- Musical skill and lead voice.
- Ability to use arrangements and instrumentations to innovate in our worship experience.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work with, and learn about, mixing software, sound boards, etc.
- Ability to “read a congregation”, understand a church’s context and sensitivities and create appropriate worship plans.
- Desire and ability to create music through a team.
- Ability to encourage congregational singing through leadership style.
- Ability and interest in working with musicians of all ages is an asset.
- Planning and time management skills, particularly focused on managing schedules.
- The ability to communicate in English is required.
- Ability to creatively collaborate with people.
- Rigorous attention to details.
- Composure and ability to lead with confidence and calmness when faced with competing priorities.
Part-time position (20 hours per week); must be present Sunday mornings and TBD weekday rehearsal times.
Please submit your cover letter, salary expectations and resume to:
Bishop Jenny Andison
Lead Minister (Rector)
St. Paul’s Bloor Street Anglican Church
227 Bloor St E, Toronto, ON M4W 1C8
HR@stpaulsbloor.org (Please put “Bridge (9:30 am) Music Director” in the subject line).
No telephone inquiries, please. Applications will be reviewed as received. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 8979 ]