Classic (11 am) Music Director
Classic (11 am) Music Director
Toronto, Ontario , M4W 1C8
St. Paul’s Bloor Street (SPBS) is a vibrant and growing Anglican church with a rich worship legacy located in the heart of downtown Toronto. We are looking for a professional, dependable and enthusiastic individual with a passion to strengthen the classic music ministry, creating an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, by encouraging congregational participation in our Anglican tradition.
As a member of our music ministry, the Classic (11 am) Music Director will report to the Lead Minister (Rector). They will provide direction, oversight, and coordination of the musical elements of the classic Anglican worship services, including include planning liturgical elements, leading and growing our choir, as well as possessing a vision to expand the classic music ministry and use it as a tool for outreach.
- Attend weekly planning meetings to coordinate musical pieces with scheduled service themes or Scripture for classic Anglican services, including appropriate special services (Christmas, Easter, Holy Week, etc.) for both in person and online worship.
- Oversee and coordinate music for the choir and provide the music list schedule to service staff.
- Plan all musical elements for the service— including offertory music, postlude, and other special music—to enhance and enrich the worship service ensuring the service flows smoothly.
- Seek to integrate the 11 am music ministry into the church life by partnering with the Bridge
- (9:30 am) Music Director and Youth Music Leader to create a community that is intentionally intergenerational, striving to complement other church ministries.
Choral Direction and Organ
- Rehearse (Thursday evenings) and direct the choir (Sunday mornings) in the presentation of musical selections.
- Manage hiring and direction of professional choral leads; hiring and mentoring of Organ Scholar.
- Coach volunteers and build choir participation, developing a team spirit within the choir through constructive musical direction and selected social activities.
- Develop the quality, breadth, and diversity of the choral repertoire.
- Assume pastoral and discipleship care of the choir.
- Coordinate maintenance, tuning, and repair of musical instruments, including the Casavant organ.
- Ensure compliance to applicable copyright laws.
- Arrange and coordinate with guest musicians for special services or events.
And other duties as required.
Must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Music education/training, e.g., A.R.C.T., BMus, B.F.A., R.C.C.O. Certification.
- Leading, training and directing choirs of all ages.
- Understanding of Anglican liturgy.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Technical components of online services including mixing software, sound boards, etc. or a willingness to learn.
- Ability to play the pipe organ and piano.
- Ability to accompany and teach congregational singing.
- Ability to “read a congregation”, understand a church’s context and sensitivities and create worship plans appropriately.
- Ability and interest in working with choristers of all ages is an asset.
- Planning and time management skills particularly focused on managing schedules .
- Ability to communicate in English is required.
- Ability to creatively collaborate with people.
- Rigorous attention to details.
- Composure and ability to lead with confidence and calmness when faced with competing priorities.
- This is a part-time position, 20 hours per week.
Please submit your cover letter, salary expectations and resume to:
Bishop Jenny Andison
Lead Minister (Rector)
St. Paul’s Bloor Street Anglican Church
227 Bloor St E, Toronto, ON M4W 1C8
HR@stpaulsbloor.org (Please put “Classic (11 am) Music Director” in the subject line).
No telephone inquiries, please. Applications will be reviewed as received. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 8980 ]