Student Records Assistant
Student Records Assistant
Hamilton, Ontario , L8S 4K1
The Student Records Assistant facilitates day-to-day operations of the Records Office and is responsible for the provision of services to students, faculty, and staff in the areas of student records, student finances, and Financial Aid. This includes registration, maintaining student records, assessing tuition and fees, working with student accounts, and assisting with graduation services for full and part time students. The Student Records Assistant also assists the Registrar with projects pertinent to the Records Office, may serve on committees or teams as needed, prepares documents and reports, and also assists the Registrar in the establishment of policies, procedures, and best practices for the Records Office. The Student Records Assistant provides high quality support for students and works collaboratively with the Registrar and other academic and student services leaders to develop, coordinate, and implement strategic enrolment and services strategies.
Student Records and Registration
Assists with oversight of Student Records from initial registration through to graduation. Works closely with the Registrar to ensure consistency of registration and enrolment service standards. Audits and maintains quality control processes related to student records processing in the student information system, which includes Mosaic, MDC database, and physical student files.
- Liaises with Admissions to ensure timely communication with newly admitted students and ensures that all necessary documentation has been received once the applicant has been transferred to Student Records.
- Registers new students and communicates with students throughout the registration process.
- Schedules and creates courses on Mosaic and MDC database in which students may be enrolled.
- Processes all enrolment add/drop requests and ensures that students are meeting necessary program requirements.
- Communicates with students so that they are aware of their academic standing within their programs.
- Counsels students on academic, enrolment, and records problems for assigned areas; discusses problems with appropriate academic faculty or administrators, and seeks solutions within the framework of established policies and regulations.
Tuition and Fees
- Uses Mosaic to assess tuition fees and communicates this information to students through itemized tuition breakdowns.
- Conducts audits of student accounts throughout the year and rectifies anomalies pertaining to incorrect tuition charges or errors in disbursement of funds.
- Liaises with Student Accounts at the University to ensure that students’ accounts are accurate.
Grades and Academic Records
- Conducts the input/update of student grade data and the curation of academic records.
- Maintains confidential, accurate, and permanent grade records on Mosaic, MDC database, and hard-copy records in student files.
- Coordinates the delivery and receipt of grade sheets for faculty for the purpose of recording grades for each class and updating those in Records.
- Consults with Registrar and faculty to ensure all data is accurate and up-to-date.
- Verifies that transcripts are accurate and that students are eligible to request the document (i.e., no overdue fees or holds on accounts), and making corrections when necessary, before forwarding requests to the Registrar.
- Ensures that files are prepped for archives and that the necessary documents are retained for historical records, keeping in line with established polices relevant for the curation and confidentiality of records.
- Serves as the main administrator for collecting financial aid applications and distributing financial aid to student accounts, as well as administering processes pertaining to other MDC prizes, scholarships, and awards.
- Resolves financial aid questions/appeals, in consultation with the Registrar when necessary.
- Liaises with Student Accounts at McMaster University to resolve errors in financial aid assessment, disbursement, or adjustment of students’ accounts where necessary.
- Compile list of potential graduands for each academic year and conducts audits of eligible students.
- Updates and maintains all documentation necessary for graduation.
- Assists the Registrar with the planning of convocation.
Will Become Familiar With
- Student information systems: Mosaic, MDC database, and student files.
- Course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements.
- Academic standards governing student probation, suspension, and/or expulsion.
- Student Accounts and Financial Aid procedures.
- Departmental scheduling for the academic calendar year as it pertains to Student Records and enrolment.
- Customer service standards and procedures.
- Student registration, academic, and residency requirements.
- Database management and retrieval techniques.
- Records curation policies and procedures.
- Records archiving and/or retrieval.
- Organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
The ideal candidate will Be in full agreement with McMaster Divinity College’s statement of faith* and will possess the following qualities:
- The ability to manage time well and meet deadlines.
- The ability to be careful, detail-oriented, and efficient.
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Investigate and analyze information to draw conclusions.
- Provide technical advice and information to faculty, staff, and students as it pertains to student records.
- The ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Computer literacy, the ability to manage and use databases, and experience with MS Office 365 (esp. Word and Excel) and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with budgets and/or fiscal management.
- The ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
Posted Under: Administration
Career ID: [ 9008 ]