St Thomas, Ontario , N5R 6G4
The Music Coordinator will give overall leadership to music in worship under the supervision of the pastor. This will include direct oversight of the Praise Team and coordination of the Sound and Projection Teams for the purposes of worship. The Music Coordinator will participate in other music related ministries that serve the mission of the church where the need exists and as time allows.
Time Commitment: The Music Coordinator will work an average of 15 hours per week, with the time commitment varying over the course of the year.
- A deep and growing love for the Lord and His church
- Filled with the Holy Spirit and attuned to the Spirit’s leading in ministry
- Has experience working as part of a larger team
- Is able to be receptive to the worship needs of a congregation, willingness to hear others
- Shows willingness to understand the foundational statements and structures of Fellowship CRC and work within that (even its music traditions)
- Has experience in a administrative/leadership role – managing volunteers, scheduling, budgets, etc.
- Exhibits strong Team building skills
- Can sing or play an instrument with excellence
- Can read music and has a working knowledge of basic music theory
- Has working knowledge of the soundboard and recording equipment or is willing to learn
- Has additional experience or interest in other forms of worship – drama, visual arts, dance…
- Has the ability to dream large about music ministry, always looking for ways for the music ministry to enrich worship for the church family (recognizing that music ministry is always evolving, not stagnant)
Duties or Responsibilities
- Select appropriate music for the worship service
- Search for and select new music
- Prepare offertory music - performance pieces by the praise team, special guests or members of our own congregation (may include video)
- Find, copy and keep music organized
- Plan, prepare for and execute rehearsals (currently Thursdays, Sunday mornings, and others as needed)
- Lead worship during segments of the services - speaking, praying, singing.
- Occasionally design the “God's Will” portion (or other portions) of the service as arranged with the pastor including arranging the entire service when we have a visiting/guest preacher
- Prepare regular schedules of instrumentalists and singers
- Seek out new praise team members
- Teach/coach all team members - reading music, style, singing and playing technique
- Play a supportive role for team members as needed when they face difficult personal circumstances
- Prepare music for special celebrations and events - Christmas, Easter, praise nights, etc.
- Take on special projects as needed or beneficial to the ministry, for example:
- Train and lead a kid’s praise team for camp in the summer
- Select or develop a Christmas musical production and perform it—recruiting, training, and leading a choir for the production
- Give overall direction to the music team: leading or supporting another leader as needed
- Manage equipment - purchase, maintain, repair (piano, drums, sound equipment)
- Oversee the technical ministries and work with the Sound and Projection team leaders to ensure their ministries and all services run smoothly, including online worship
- Submit a budget request for the music ministry of the church
- Communicate with visiting/guest preachers
- Communicate with other staff regarding special contributions to the services
- Make arrangements when he/she needs need to be away or is on holidays
- Attend seminars and conferences
- Read various resources related to his/her role
- Attend monthly meetings with the pastor
- Attend staff meetings
- Create a monthly report for the pastor and abbreviated report for council
The Pastor will supervise the work of the Music Coordinator and evaluate him/her annually. The Music Coordinator will also meet with the Human Resources Committee.
Posted Under: Pastoral - Music
Career ID: [ 9038 ]