Generalist, People & Culture
Generalist, People & Culture
Toronto, Ontario , M5A 2G7
Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is the vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading a collective movement - going beyond meeting immediate needs by offering holistic programs and a pathway to transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto.
Since 1896, YSM has provided wraparound support and services, making it possible for individuals, families, and communities to move forward. We believe if we combine our collective resources and wisdom, together we can reach our goal of ending chronic poverty in a generation.
If you are inspired by our vision and feel a true calling to contribute to our work in transforming the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto from merely surviving to thriving, then this is where you belong.
YSM is seeking a full-time Generalist, People & Culture (P&C) who will work closely with managers and staff in handling day-to-day human resources matters and supporting the development and implementation of policies, programs and initiatives to sustain a values-based, high performance culture and advance YSM’s overall mission and strategy.
Reporting directly to the Manager, People & Culture, the successful candidate will be responsible to:
- Assist with Total Rewards management (salaries, benefits, and perks), including job evaluation
- Help identify new talent sources and support hiring managers with candidate screening and selection
- Manage the onboarding program, and in collaboration with key staff, plan and execute events/activities that promote positive staff experiences and foster inclusion and team cohesion
- Support management initiatives to build a high-performance culture, including the delivery of performance management mechanisms that include coaching, goal-setting, peer feedback, and performance improvement plans
- Assist with policy development and provide guidance to staff on a range of human resources issues
- Keep abreast of new legislation and changing program and operational needs and recommend changes or updates to existing policies and procedures
- Assist with the identification of organizational training and development needs and suitable training events
- Ensure organizational compliance with relevant legislation including, but not limited to, the Employment Standards Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Act
- Collaborate with the Coordinator, P&C and liaise with other operational staff on shared objectives or special projects: Finance; Information Services and Technology; Property Services; Program Administration
- Undertake special P&C projects, as required
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Human Resource Management; CHRP in place or in progress is an asset
- 3+ years of HR experience at a Generalist level; experience working in a Christian workplace is valued
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, the Ontario Human Rights Act and other employment legislation
- Very good analytical skills and the capacity to apply professional knowledge and sound judgment in interpreting policies and procedures
- Effective verbal and written communication skills that can influence others to take action while maintaining positive relationships
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive situations with confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
- Attention to detail and the ability to deliver desired results, and committed to continuous quality improvement
- High emotional intelligence and maturity in daily interactions with staff, management, community members and other external parties
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems, e.g. BambooHR; proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the ability to learn new applications quickly
- Ability to thrive in a diverse and Christian ecumenical workplace
- A demonstrated passion for poverty alleviation
- Solid team player and able to work independently
- The successful candidate will be required to sign YSM’s Articles of Faith and Doctrine and uphold YSM’s Mission, Biblical Foundations, and Core Values.
- This role will be carried out remotely from home and, as needed, onsite.
- A police check will be required.
Deadline for Application: June 30, 2021
Starting Date: By August 3, 2021
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Posted Under: Miscellaneous
Career ID: [ 9051 ]